Title problem...help and advice requested - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Title problem...help and advice requested

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
John316
1976 CJ5 

Title problem...help and advice requested

Folks,

So I took it down to get my jeep inspected today. All they do here in KS is VIN check. The VIN on my firewall matched the title, no problem. The issue came up when there is a plastic CJ5 emblem on the side, and the vin says it is a CJ7. Part of me is kicking myself for not taking that plastic stickon piece off, and the other part knows that I want things done right in the long run.

Now I have to take it in to their headquarters tomorrow, for them to look it over. Can anybody give me some advice? I am trying hard not to worry about it, but I could sure use some other's input.

The doors do look like it could be a CJ5. How messed up am I?

Thanks,

John

John316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

If the doors look like a cj5 then it can't be a cj7, can you just take off that emblem and let them think its a cj7?
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
popascj7
1976 CJ7 

Is it a 7 or a 5? Picture?
popascj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Post a pic and we can tell you if it's a 5 or a 7. The 5 door entry looks like an "S" and the 7 looks like a "U".

Someone could have easily put a 5 emblem on a 7 or vice versa.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

I found you. You have a CJ5. So if the vin number you have is saying CJ7, you have some problems.

I'm not sure where the other vin numbers are on the 5, but on mine there's a vin on firewall, windshield by dash, and one on top of the frame near front shock mount. See if your numbers match up.

Do a vin search and confirm what it says yourself. Your firewall should definitely be for a 5, if not, someone's been playing around.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

There are hidden VIN's on the frame.
Fraud is serious c'it ........
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
John316
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the encouragement guys Now I AM worried. I am glad for the help.

Here is a pic of the jeep.

Any other thoughts or ideas? That is the last thing I need...fraud. Great. Everything looked so legit also.

Thanks again for the help.
John316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Tell them it's a 7 and you just switched the door openings to a 5 cause you thought they looked cooler! No really good luck. Can you ask the PO?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

See the red? That's where my vin is located on my firewall. Check out if that area with the vin seems weird at all. Other than it being a different color.

Again, I'd look up the vin to verify what it reads myself. Whoever wrote up the title could have mistakenly put CJ7
image-4091840488.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The picture shows a post, 1980 CJ-5.
Somedangbody has been play'n the VIN switch 'game'.
Very common when stolen.........
LG
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Don't think you can outsmart them; there's a 10 inch difference in the wheel base. (83.5" vs 93.5") You've got a 5 with a 7 VIN and you'd better figure out how it got that way. There is a place on the frame where the last numbers of the VIN are stamped. I'm confident by just the picture they're not going to match, but measure.

You might as well go here and decipher the VIN and see what other conflicts you have: http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...eep-truck.html

How long have you had the Jeep and can you still find the owner? There's a good chance you may need a ride home from headquarters. Seriously.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
Don't think you can outsmart them; there's a 10 inch difference in the wheel base. You've got a 5 with a 7 VIN and you'd better figure out how it got that way. There is a place on the frame where the last numbers of the VIN are stamped. I'm confident by just the picture they're not going to match.

You might as well go here and decipher the VIN and see what other conflicts you have: http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...eep-truck.html
Agreed. That's the first thing I'd be doing. Verify the vin. Go from there.
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

There's more than 1 place on the frame for that info, BTW.
You have damn well better get in touch with the PO/RO, ASAP!
You DO have a signed BOS, 'rite'??
LG
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Now I remember your Jeep, Yours is the one without rear brakes and bought at an auction?

What kind of auction was it? Is there any chance THEY knew it was shady? Are dealers licensed in your state? Were they required to verify the VIN as a dealer?

Don't spend any more on it until this is straightened out. I hate to say it, but I think there's a chance you may have to take them to court. THEY (if they're a licensed dealer) should know the difference between a 5 and a 7.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I met a guy, years ago, that had the same problem. He spent $200 and titled it in Mass, he lived in Md. Then used that title to register it in Md. He bought it from someone in Va, but going back 2-3 previous owners turned up nada. If the frame number shows up as stolen the authorities will confiscate the Jeep and return it to the guy That had it stolen.

A high profile car was just returned to the original owner, Director Quentin Tarantino's 1964 Chevelle Malibu was recovered in the San Francisco Bay area after being reported stolen in 1994.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.