Tire Mount/Hitch on a fiberglass body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tire Mount/Hitch on a fiberglass body?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
ME380

Tire Mount/Hitch on a fiberglass body?

I bought a 1974 CJ5 with a fiberglass body, but it doesn't have any place where I can mount the spare tire. It also doesn't have hitch on it. I don't want to make any modifications to the original body other than the frame. What do you recommend?

ME380 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

On my 79 I Built a non swinging tire carrier and welded directly up to a cheap pro comp replacement bumper.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I would also highly recommend you go with a aftermarket bumper with tire carrier and receiver.
Jack61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

double post, in the other thread i stated you should contact bserk for an aftermarket bumper/tire swing.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
clydegoat
2005 TJ Wrangler 

don't know if it's your thing to do any fab work, but i've built mine, use 2x4 or 4x4 tubing, cut the ends to an angle, then I find an old reese hitch for cheap and cut it down and weld it to the bottom. grind it all down nice a smooth shoot it with bed liner or something of that type. and then can build or by swinging tire carrier on the bumper. just an idea if you do that kinda stuff.... I had the fiberglass body, they say you can mount on on the body like oe but I personally wouldn't suggest it with out really bracing it in some way.
clydegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
ME380

Sorry about the double post. Internet was being weird. Did most CJ's come with stock trailer hitches? I'm thinking of fabbing my own, just looking at where people have mounted them and what I want. Anything that worked particularly well?
Thanks guys
ME380 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

No didn't normally come with a hitch, was a option. Do you have a tailgate?
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I was think of using an old Willys, non swing, solid mount. Side mount style, on the back. I'm going to cut a full sized steel plate that covers the whole rear inside the body to mount to. Where the tailgate should be, but doesn't, on my AJ's Kevlar body. This should disperse the weight of the tire across the whole rear section.
Anybody try this, or see a downside?
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

Is the body double wall on the Kevlar bodies? The fiberglass bodies are and I would be afraid of pulling the inner and outer shell together doing that because it may distort or damage the body. I guess some of that would also depend on what size tire you are going to hang on it to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.