Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tips on removing adhesive from vinyl applique on door

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  80cj 
#1 ·
I am in the process of replacingnthe vinyl applique on the exterior of the door. Peeled it off. Used Goo Gone, Goof Off, a razor, and heat. Super messy job. Has to be an easier way. Tips?

See less See more
#5 ·
X2

Used several of those wheels to replace friends Renegade decals on his 79 CJ-7. Scary at first as you think it will take the paint off. But in the end, no harm to the paint surface and they removed every bit of decal and residue.

#11 ·
This is good to hear. Ironically I just ordered a decal kit but in case I ever want to go back to plain.

#12 ·
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I ordered the eraser wheel and it worked out really well. Maybe took about 15 minutes per side and now it is darn near perfect. After the buff and polish, it will look like new, and then I'll apply the new applique. My only complaint is it is messy and smells like crap. :)

#13 ·
Nice! Glad it worked out for you

Can't wait to se some full shots!

'69 Firebird, or '69 camaro w/ chevelle wheels? (Or is the reflection just distorting the area behind the wheel well and I'm waaaaaaay off)!

Hoss

#15 ·
By the way, don't think you're going to sneak through that post without showing pics of the muscle car I spy in the reflection!!! :drool::popCorn:

#17 ·
396 Big Block, L78 version with 375HP factory? Had 68 Chevelle with that motor, miss it.

Glad the eraser worked out, but now it looks like you need a new weather strip seal for the door window. Looks like the eraser grabbed a few chunks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.