Tips on installing water temperature gauge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tips on installing water temperature gauge

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The S post connects to that purple with tracer wire back to the sensor.

The + terminal is a +ve feed. As John Strenk pointed out it could go to the back of the speedo housing and join on to the red wire that used to feed the temperature and fuel gauges.

The other terminal surely must say - but it looks like +. this is a ground, depends on how your instrument panel is being grounded. If just through the metal of the panel etc it is will be uneliable. You may debate how to ground all your instruments but look at how the other gauges are grounded.

That black wire from the bulb also goes to ground.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Usually the gauge lights are powered by an orange wire. Look at a few other gauges to see where they get their power for the lights. It should vary in voltage when you turn the headlight switch left and right.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The S post connects to that purple with tracer wire back to the sensor.

The + terminal is a +ve feed. As John Strenk pointed out it could go to the back of the speedo housing and join on to the red wire that used to feed the temperature and fuel gauges.

The other terminal surely must say - but it looks like +. this is a ground, depends on how your instrument panel is being grounded. If just through the metal of the panel etc it is will be uneliable. You may debate how to ground all your instruments but look at how the other gauges are grounded.

That black wire from the bulb also goes to ground.
This is exactly right.

Looks like the Meter can be used on either + ground or - ground vehicals.

Looks simple enough to attach the black wire to the - post and then run a wire from the - post to a ground screw on the dash. Either make your own grounding point with a self tapping screw or the speedo mounting bolt on the back of the dash.

Run the + post to the "I" terminal on the back of the fuel gauge like Bagusjeep mentions.

Run the red wire on the light to some orange wire on the back of the dash like 82JeepCJ7 says

First time I ever saw a gauge with metric and English markings like that though.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

thanks guys for all your help, i will try this after i get outta work this evening.. we have perfect jeepn' weather down here in the imperial valley and i hate to see my jeep stuck in the garage.. i will post an update as soon as i connect this gauge..

good day amigos
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
wglikes

Where did you purchase the temp gauge you show in the picture?
Thanks
wglikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
If you're going into the temp gauge anyway, if you've got the flow you may consider a wide sweep gauge;

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
autometer , gauge , overflow , overheat , overheating , thermostat housing , water temp , water tempurature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.