Tips on installing water temperature gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tips on installing water temperature gauge

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Tips on installing water temperature gauge

Hello I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing a water temperature gauge. I have an 85 CJ 7 4.2 Litre. I am not very confident on the factory gauge that it works as it should as it seems that it stays in the same spot most of the time and Jeep does not have an overflow tank. I plan on buying an Auto Meter gauge and installing that to get a more accurate reading of the temperature that I am running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

macg1777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Slydeco
1985 CJ7 

Water temp guage

Here,s what I used Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service and it works great!!!

Last edited by Slydeco; 07-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: grammer
Slydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Slydeco for the information!!!
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

My question is why wouldn't you have an overflow tank? As for the factory gage, if you pull the lead wire off the back of the block/temp sensor and ground that wire when you turn your jeep on the temp gage will immediately peg itself to H if it is working properly. If not then the gage is not good. That's a quick way to test your gage if you think its not opperating properly.

Installation of a new gage really is pretty straight foward. Goodluck with the installation!
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

There's a threaded hole on the block, driver's side just forward of the motor mount that accepts the aftermarket sending unit. No need to cobble it and blow $23.
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You can also remove one of the temperature sensors for all the emissions crap on the side of the intake and install a mechanical gauge there.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Are you going with a mechanical gauge?
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Slydeco
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrok View Post
There's a threaded hole on the block, driver's side just forward of the motor mount that accepts the aftermarket sending unit. No need to cobble it and blow $23.
The fitting goes right beside the thermostat so you would get a more accurate reading,
Slydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

CJ 8 Extreme I purchased this vehicle not to long ago. There was no overflow tank installed but I might just install one. Is it really needed though? I want to install a mechanical gauge just to make sure that I am not running hot and damaging the engine. Thanks
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

Ah I got ya, I've always needed my overflow tank . A cheap infared Thermometer from Autozone for 10 dollars will give you a quick reading on your temp under the hood. I keep one of those around in my glove box to help track down problems under the hood.

The last autometer gauge I bought just required finding a place to mount the probe for the gauge. I tappd a new hole for the probe near the thermostat as mentioned above. For ease you can probably use the orginal hole in the back of the block if the threads are the same, I can't vouch for that mounting spot because I did not use that one.
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydeco View Post
The fitting goes right beside the thermostat so you would get a more accurate reading,
Splitting hairs really, but I wouldn't have the room on the boss that's on my t-stat housing to put one.
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg1777 View Post
Hello I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing a water temperature gauge. I have an 85 CJ 7 4.2 Litre. I am not very confident on the factory gauge that it works as it should as it seems that it stays in the same spot most of the time and Jeep does not have an overflow tank. I plan on buying an Auto Meter gauge and installing that to get a more accurate reading of the temperature that I am running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Did you ever install your water temp gauge?? I have a 84 cj7 and it came with a aftermarket water temp gauge but the wiring is all messed up, i need help with connecting the gauge on the right way, what wire goes where kinda help? i can find any diagrams for that for some reason..
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Purple with tracer from the top of the sensor to the back of the temperature gauge.

The power was a shared red wire, there was one connection for the fuel and temperature gauge. It is unknown as to where your power is coming from for the new gauge but I suggest finding one that is linked to the IGN LPS fuse in the fuse box, probably red.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscj7boom View Post
Did you ever install your water temp gauge?? I have a 84 cj7 and it came with a aftermarket water temp gauge but the wiring is all messed up, i need help with connecting the gauge on the right way, what wire goes where kinda help? i can find any diagrams for that for some reason..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Purple with tracer from the top of the sensor to the back of the temperature gauge.

The power was a shared red wire, there was one connection for the fuel and temperature gauge. It is unknown as to where your power is coming from for the new gauge but I suggest finding one that is linked to the IGN LPS fuse in the fuse box, probably red.
Depends which aftermarket gauge he bought. Some still use the regulated supply from the fuel gauge.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Depends which aftermarket gauge he bought. Some still use the regulated supply from the fuel gauge.
hey guys, here is are few pics of the water temp gauge, obviously the sender goes to sensor on block, where do the others exactly go to?? where do i get the power from?? this is for a 1984 cj7...

rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
autometer , gauge , overflow , overheat , overheating , thermostat housing , water temp , water tempurature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.