Tips on dropping fuel tank - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tips on dropping fuel tank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Use a punch and knock out the nutsert and bolt from the bottom. A BFH and a whack or two is all it takes to break the nutsert loose (usually). It's only spot welded to the frame.

Use a really small cut off wheel and slip it in between the shackle and leaf spring and just cut the bolt off.

The bolt seizes to the inner sleeve and is nearly impossible to get out. It'll just turn in the bushing.

You'll need to replace the bushings anyway.

Cut it on both sides if you have to, then heat it with a torch once it's lowered and it'll pop right out. It really makes a lot of black smoke and a mess. Best bet is to do it outside or with the door open if you are in a garage.
Im going after this bolt in about an hour. We will see how it goes. What a PIA, glad i'm not getting paid by the hour on this job!

skclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #32
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

You would actually make out pretty well getting paid by the hour.

When you are getting paid "book rate" is when you lose your shirt. It probably says .10 hours (or about 6 mins).
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #33
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

While I had my tank out I seperated the skid.Then cleaned all the crap out and painted it.I replaced the sock filter on the sending unit while I was there too.

The tank had some trash in the bottom so I cleaned that several times with just water.Of course youll have to let it dry out well before reinstall..Replaced all the fuel hoses and left enough slack to let the tank all the way down next time.
Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #34
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Life is good, I pulled the bumper and cut a few 1 1/4" access holes in the rear cross member (that needs to be replaced anyway) and got a lock washer and nut on the bolt I drilled out. Went ahead and did the other side while I was at it. Heated up both bolts from the top then PB Blasted. I noticed one of the nuts had broken loose so I'm already ahead of the game now. Got the new shackle mounted and the bolt cut off the front eye, old spring pulled. Moving ahead now. Thanks for the advice guys.

My 2.5 Racho springs look like they might be slightly shorter in length than the stock. The hight of the spring looks to be real close. I'm wondering if they were stock now.

Also thanks in advance Rick for coming over tomorrow to lend a hand.

CJRubicon, I decided to fight with the tank another day.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.