Tips on dropping fuel tank - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tips on dropping fuel tank

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Check your frame rails while you are there.

Mine was a blessing in disguise too. Mine are a little thin and need to be plated. I decided to leave the trailer hitch on after all to help support the hangers until I can get mine welded up.

It's too freaking cold out there to be plating and welding. It'll have to wait till the spring.

I thought mine would be a simple unbolt of the hitch and opened up a whole can of worms like I said before. Typical when you are working on something that is 30 years old and has been in the northeast all it's life.

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Yep, I drilled it out and tried to extract the bolt and am not having any success. So I may just go the route Eddie (Stan) is suggesting. I wish I had a welder! (and the skills to use it).

I had a similar issue with a body mount last weekend. Hole saw and saw zaw to the rescue. Not that easy this time though. Plate isn't coming loose the bolt is just seazed up. Whats left of the bolt. about a 1/16" hollow bolt now! Tried heating then PB then heating some more.

On another note, the bolt that holds the Eye on is a ***** to get out. Bolt turns but is real stiff and it's not budging even with a sledge. Tought to get a good hit though with the muffler in the way.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Use a punch and knock out the nutsert and bolt from the bottom. A BFH and a whack or two is all it takes to break the nutsert loose (usually). It's only spot welded to the frame.

Use a really small cut off wheel and slip it in between the shackle and leaf spring and just cut the bolt off.

The bolt seizes to the inner sleeve and is nearly impossible to get out. It'll just turn in the bushing.

You'll need to replace the bushings anyway.

Cut it on both sides if you have to, then heat it with a torch once it's lowered and it'll pop right out. It really makes a lot of black smoke and a mess. Best bet is to do it outside or with the door open if you are in a garage.
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #19
CJ7VFR

Quote:
On another note, the bolt that holds the Eye on is a ***** to get out. Bolt turns but is real stiff and it's not budging even with a sledge. Tought to get a good hit though with the muffler in the way.
Same thing happened to me. But since I was replacing the exhaust, I took it out first to get to the main
eye spring bolt your talking about.

It seems to compound one thing on another.

To replace something, you have too remove two other things, or buy some special tool that will fit.

Its what we have to do to keep our old Jeeps going I guess.

I have to say that when I bought my Jeep 18 years ago, I liked working on it, and fixing stuff.

But now that I am in my 40's, its getting to be less and less "fun" to do, and is more and more like work.

But I still love my Jeep...

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7VFR View Post
Wow, those must be some rusty bolts!

I removed all four of my shackle hangers on my Jeep with no problems.

I sprayed them with PB Blaster for two days, and they came out with just
a short breaker bar. And I live in New Jersey where we get all kinds of salt
put down on the roads in the winter!

Although, like skclark said, its probably a blessing in disguise. If they were
that bad, they should be replaced. You don't want a shackle hanger coming
loose when your wheelin!

If its not one thing breaking, its another it seems some times.

Jim
You're not in the rust belt like I am. I'm originally from Jersey and when I moved to IL with my first CJ-7, people couldn't believe how relatively rust free it was.

They'll hold just fine if they aren't disturbed, but once you start twisting on them, all bets are off. I can usually remove most of them with liberal amounts of PB or Kroil over several days, but there's *always* one and sometimes two that won't budge and snap off.

I picked up a tip several years back along the lines of what IronMaiden suggested with the hole saw...difference is that you don't close the holes back up. Since crud collects in that area and leads to the frame rotting out, you can clean it out through those holes.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #21
CJ7VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate View Post
You're not in the rust belt like I am. I'm originally from Jersey and when I moved to IL with my first CJ-7, people couldn't believe how relatively rust free it was.
I hear you. New Jersey is not as bad as you are describing, but its not as
nice as being down in texas or california!!

My Jeep stayed relatively rust free for the first couple of years after I bought it.

But then, the little spots would turn into big spots after a winters worth of
driving.

It always amazes me to see a tiny little spot about the size of a dime in the fall
start to show a bit of bubbling under the paint, and then in the spring, when I
go to fix it, its now a rotted out hole about 3 inches in diameter!

Thats why I bought my welder in the first place. I figured the longer I had this
Jeep, the more it would need to be fixed, and if I bought a welder, I could do the
repairs myself and save a few bucks.

The initial layout of money for the welder has more than paid for its self over
the last 18 years.

And I actually learned something too.

Jim
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Well, the fun is over. Not having any luck with the extractor so it's time to drill. There is actually an access hole but it's probably too small for me to get a nut started and then a wrench on it. Probably going to have to resort to the hole saw again.

Here's what it looks like now:

Unread 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
CJ7VFR

Can you drill out the rest of the old bolt to the minor diameter of the bolt, and then run a tap into the hole to clean
out the rest?

Jim
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #24
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skclark View Post
I started changing out my monster shackles tonight with 1/2" greasables and found that I will need to drop the tank to get the bolt out.

I would just cut the bolt and put the new one in facing the other way. However, if I do i'm thinking my grasable bolts just become pointless.

Are there any gotchas I should look out for before lowering the tank? I removed the filler hose and see where all the fuel lines go in. I only need to lower it 6" to clear the bolt. If everything is stock will I have enough slack in the fuel lines if I suport it with a floor jack and lower it some? I plan on disconnecting the ground and fuel gauge wire. Then do I just pull the bolts along the front and back lip of the gas tank?

I searched, and based on the lack of "how to remove a tank" I am guessing I don't have anything to worry about.

Found this link, wish the PO did this to my rig... but then again that would have cost me a few extra Gs.
Yep, there as not been a write up on remove and replace the fuel tank, (you have me thinking about writing one as I have had my tank in and out many many times (sign of stupidity)). But there has been many post relating to the subject.

I went back and picked up some of the threads relating to fuel tank R&R, and I will reference you to them. But first a few comments:

Fuel in the Tank:
Kinda one of those no brainers but drain your tank first. You will have siphon it out, I have been disconnecting the filler hose to the tank and put my siphon hose in there so I don't have to fish it down from the gas cap hole.

Access:
If you donít have the luxury of a frame lift, then put your jeep on jacks stands (again no brainer, use all the safely precautions so that it does not fall on you ) and use GOOD JACKSTANDS, not blocks etc. Support the jeep by the frame and not the rear axle. I have done both ways and having the axle hang just gives you much more room when you start working those blind spots when you wish your arm was just 2in shorter.

There is a world of difference in workable space if you pull your rear tires. Again I have done it both ways, and taking that 3-5 min to remove the tires is well worth the time.

That preface said, here are some links to the other threads in this forum that give a lot of good advise:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/po...-tanks-224475/
and

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...l-tank-862144/ See post 7 (read the whole thread, but specifically post 7)

There is a lot of little things you can do for broken parts, inaccessible connections and supports where we Jeep owners play shade tree engineer, in improving and fabricate, to repair poorly designed parts, but I dont want to see a "hodge podge" of info that will be forgotten when an explanation needs to be laid out in logical progression.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #25
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Not said yet.... antiziese everywhere.....

Everytime I remove a bolt... I put the antiziese on there. I take a q Tip and put up in the frame mtd nuts.

When I got to remove... If rusty stuck... I try to get the neighbors acetyline tank.... I spent Hours on 1 bolt and wk or so of pretreat. Took me 20 min to get it out with heat and the other 4 that were left.

I am in your boat... I need acetalyne Tank and Welder.

I with the guys in Chic... I do not drive my CJ in the winter.... we hit -27 F this past week and thats temp not wind chill.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #26
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Well how did it turn out? Did you get'er done? If you have a warm garage to work in I might be able to come help you out today. With a High in the 40's and this rain , it's just to D@mm cold outside to do anything
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #27
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
With a High in the 40's and this rain , it's just to D@mm cold outside to do anything
Aw, only 40 degrees?

Try 15 degrees, 20 mph winds and snow sqaulls for the last couple of days. I'm dying to put my new exhaust system on, but I'm working outside in the driveway!
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #28
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Aw, only 40 degrees?

Try 15 degrees, 20 mph winds and snow sqaulls for the last couple of days. I'm dying to put my new exhaust system on, but I'm working outside in the driveway!
That's why I left the North 12 yrs ago, been there done that. It should be in the 70's down here and you get used to the heat. Cold weather Sucks
SUICIDE
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Well after 4 hours off getting my butt kicked by a stupid bolt I had to take my Daughter to rowing practice and then decided a few pints of Guinness would be a good idea. So... after my third I happened to win a 4th for being the loudest at the table during the "free beer" drinking song. Apparently 4 pints is my limit. SO... i'm just now getting started.

I do have a warm 3 car garage. I've drilled the bolt out to the largest size bit I have. I beat the hell out of the insert with a punch and BFH as suggested. Apparently we had an over acheaver on the line back in 1982 welding this ONE insert that day cause it aint budging!

SlikRic, if you feel like drivin up to Sarasota let me know. I lived off sumpter and price and from there its about 25 minutes. I'm going to be in the garage but you can give me a call if you want on my house line and one of the kids will come get me. I should be alright doing it by myself but its always nice to have someone to make fun of you and help with the heavy lifting etc.
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skclark View Post
Well after 4 hours off getting my butt kicked by a stupid bolt I had to take my Daughter to rowing practice and then decided a few pints of Guinness would be a good idea. So... after my third I happened to win a 4th for being the loudest at the table during the "free beer" drinking song. Apparently 4 pints is my limit. SO... i'm just now getting started.

I do have a warm 3 car garage. I've drilled the bolt out to the largest size bit I have. I beat the hell out of the insert with a punch and BFH as suggested. Apparently we had an over acheaver on the line back in 1982 welding this ONE insert that day cause it aint budging!

SlikRic, if you feel like drivin up to Sarasota let me know. I lived off sumpter and price and from there its about 25 minutes. I'm going to be in the garage but you can give me a call if you want on my house line and one of the kids will come get me. I should be alright doing it by myself but its always nice to have someone to make fun of you and help with the heavy lifting etc.
PM sent!!!!!!
SUICIDE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.