Tip of the Day - Knocking Through Steering Column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tip of the Day - Knocking Through Steering Column

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
1983 CJ7 

Tip of the Day - Knocking Through Steering Column

I have felt a pretty severe knock through the steering column since I put the Jeep on the road. The lower bearing retainer was loose in the column and the entire shaft would move about 1/8" either direction.

I expect the retainer should be a snug fit in the column but mine is not, and the C-clip simply keeps the retainer from slipping out.

I pulled the clip and put it in a safe place, where I will not be able to find it later and put a 2" hose clamp around the end of the column and bearing retainer, I can only detect a slight movement in the lower shaft now and this is probably a combination of the bearing fit to the shaft and the bearing fit to the bearing housing.

Much improved, cheap and fast.

Unread 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

In a left turn I sometimes get this too. Not really bad, but annoying. The only thing I can find is that lower bearing just a tad loose - if you grab the u-joint you can shake it a little. I might just try your remedy. Thanks!
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Bmacbride

I have the same issue. Not sure if I needed to replace that bearing

I have a 3" body lift. Do u have a body lift?
Bmacbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
1983 CJ7 

No body lift on my 7, I do have an aftermarket steering shaft but after installing the clamp its all tight.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.