Timing Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Timing Question...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Timing Question...

Well, I just bought my timing light and about to do the nutter by-pass. I wanted to check and see where the timing was currently at before I did the by-pass. The timing is all over the place. It moves from 15 to about 21 . Is that normal for it to move like that during idle? Will the nutter by-pass take care of this part as well or do I have another problem internally? The motor is a 150 but only has 33,000 on it.

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
berserker
1986 CJ7 

If your Jeep doesn't idle well, that fluctuation in timing is typical. I'm not sure if it will help, but you might try disconnecting your vacuum advance hose from the distributor (with the engine off), then fire it up and check the timing. Make sure you plug the vacuum line you when you disconnect it from the distributor.
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
FLBOY
1984 CJ7 

YEP, Do that first.Then let it come to a full idle.
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

I did that, but only plugged it at the carb, do I have to plug the distributor too?

Paved Roads
Quote:

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

well I just plugged the distributor hose just for the hell of it and no change. My concern is if I do the nutter by-pass is how will I time it to 8 degrees?

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 06-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
berserker
1986 CJ7 

You might try and set your idle a little higher--just enough to smooth it out.
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

well, I proceeded to do the nutter by-pass and while I was laying the new complete wires from ignition module to distributor, I found three open vacuum lines that run to the vacuum switches on the back fire wall! I would assume this would be the culprit of my timing been erratic...

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
berserker
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I found three open vacuum lines that run to the vacuum switches on the back fire wall!
Only 3?
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Only 3?

well I replaced the carb like two summers ago and thought that I had removed or plugged all the lines that were no longer in used. I guess I forgot a couple. That could explain my low mpg huh?

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
berserker
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I replaced the carb like two summers ago and thought that I had removed or plugged all the lines that were no longer in used. I guess I forgot a couple.
It happens--usually it costs a bunch of money in parts you didn't need to figure out a vacuum hose was off.

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.