Timing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Timing question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

Timing question

I installed the Howell TBI on my 304 this past Summer and it is running great. However, it lags a bit when I punch it from idle and I was thinking I could adjust the timing to help. Right now the timing is set at almost 20 degrees. I adjusted to get it to the recommended 10 and it choked and backfired through the throttle body. The higher I set the timing, the better it runs. It seems to run great but it is set so high i can't see the line anymore. The vacuum advance is connected to the throttle body and is working. I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and have upgraded the ignition to the Ford TFI. Everything else is stock. Is timing this high normal for this setup? Am I uncovering another issue?

Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
bear991
1978 CJ7 

J B it sounds like maybe the wires on the distributor cap have been advanced and the distributor itself is maybe one tooth out. I have a shop and we build rat rods and restore old trucks and have found this many times. Instead of someone putting the dist. back in correct time they will move the wires around hoping to correct the dist. being out of time and it simply will not work
bear991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

So do I remove the dizzy and act like I am installing it for the first time? Or leave it like it is? It runs fine other than the rev lag.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Maybe the vibration damper slipped a little?
Mine has, its off 1/4 turn.
Need to order a new one this spring even though I remarked it for TDC.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
bear991
1978 CJ7 

You'll have to pull the entire distr. out and turn the engine till the number one piston is top dead center. pull the spark plug out for number one and watch for the piston to come all the way up till it stops moving. Then you align the pointer on the rotor button to where number one position would be on the distr. cap. Most often the cap will be marked number one. Slide the distr. back in till everything is in align
bear991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear991
You'll have to pull the entire distr. out and turn the engine till the number one piston is top dead center. pull the spark plug out for number one and watch for the piston to come all the way up till it stops moving. Then you align the pointer on the rotor button to where number one position would be on the distr. cap. Most often the cap will be marked number one. Slide the distr. back in till everything is in align
On compression stroke.
Otherwise it may be off 180*

T-5
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

So what would happen if I leave it as it is? It is working fine except the rev lag and I can live with that.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Pulling and stabbing distributers takes only minutes once you figure it out.

T-5
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
marksud

How do you determine if it's on a compression stroke?
marksud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

One way is to pull the valve cover off and watch the valves.
Or screw the compression tester hose in the spark plug hole without the gauge on it, place a balloon on the end of the hose. It will blow up nice and large, possibly blowing off the end of the hose on the compression stroke.
Or screw bump stops into the spark plug hole, the kind that whistle on the compression stroke, though they will keep you from going fully TDC.

T-5
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

here yah go
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...ibutor-911745/
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Are you checking timing with the vac advance disconnected and plugged?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
CSP

Matt covered my first thought.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
dougoruss
1986 CJ7 

First determine if the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is in the correct place. You don't need to find TDC of the compression stroke to do this, just TDC. Take out a spark plug and place a long rod, something that won't fall in and won't damage the piston. Turn the crank until the piston is at the top. When the piston is at the top (TDC) check to see of the timing mark is at zero degrees on the timing cover. If it is, research how to properly time the 304 and set the timing for approximately 8-10 d BTDC with the vacuum line to the stock distributor disconnected and plugged.

Don't remove the distributor, it won't change a thing. Being off a tooth is a misnomer, all it means is the exterior of the distributor will be in a different orientation relative to the engine when the timing is reset. Moving the distributor is a complete waste of time. Don't do it.
dougoruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

I have the exact same setup, with the addition of an comp 260H cam, and an Edelbrock 1406 (600 CFM).

My distributor settings are just like yours, and I thought it was crazy. I found out through talking to a lot of experienced folks that factory timing settings kinda go out the window when you change carburation, intakes, etc... from stock.

You may just be over carburated or possibly have a vacuum leak.

304s just aren't a very big engine, and in reality don't need more than about 500 CFM, based on the calculations that are commonly available on the internet. I will getting an Edelbrock 1403 (500 CFM) soon and it should eleminate the over carburation.

I just got mine running smooth, adjusted the idle, and leaned out the carb so it wouldn't get that hesitation. Thats all you really need.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.