Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Timing help - tbi install

917 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jon In Tucson 
#1 ·
I need help / guidance.
1982 jeep cj7 with 258 engine.
The jeep ran great once started but since it isn't my dd I decided I wanted the convenience of fuel injection.
I bought a kit from performance fuel injection and have installed everything.
The directions were not the clearest and I've screwed up the timing. The kit comes with a large cap hei distributor.
I have turned the crank to get the timing mark to 0* but when I try and start it it just makes a ducking and sputtering sound and won't fire.
I have installed and uninstalled the distributor multiple times a long with turning the timing mark to 0* multiple times and can't get it to start.
Any guidance or help you can offer as I'm at my wits end and want to get my jeep back on the road.

#3 ·
To elaborate, the timing marks will hit "0" twice on every combustion cycle. Once on the exhaust stroke and once on the compression stroke.

You need to stab your distributor and index your plug wires at TDC of the #1 compression stroke, otherwise you will be 180* off.

To find TDC of the compression stroke, I remove the #1 spark plug and stuff a piece of tissue paper in the hole. Then, I turn the crank by hand (large socket wrench on crank bolt) clockwise until I see the tissue blow out of the hole. That will be the compression stroke. From there, continue turning the crank, slowly, until the timing marks are on "0". This will put you at TDC of the #1 compression stroke, assuming the timing set is installed properly.

Hope this helps,

Matt

#6 ·
Matt1981CJ7 said:
To elaborate, the timing marks will hit "0" twice on every combustion cycle. Once on the exhaust stroke and once on the compression stroke. You need to stab your distributor and index your plug wires at TDC of the #1 compression stroke, otherwise you will be 180* off. To find TDC of the compression stroke, I remove the #1 spark plug and stuff a piece of tissue paper in the hole. Then, I turn the crank by hand (large socket wrench on crank bolt) clockwise until I see the tissue blow out of the hole. That will be the compression stroke. From there, continue turning the crank, slowly, until the timing marks are on "0". This will put you at TDC of the #1 compression stroke, assuming the timing set is installed properly. Hope this helps, Matt
To build on this and confirm your 0* on you balancer, I will usually drop a wood dowl in the cylinder and rotate the crank back and forth at TDC to observe the dowl (and hence the piston) is at the top of the stroke. That will also confirm your timing mark is correct, at least within a few degrees

#7 ·
It lives again!
Thanks guys, now all I need to do is figure out how to rig a throttle setup and get everything tucked away and tidy.

Anyone know where the small vac fitting (just under the throttle body) this pic is supposed to run?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Just to clarify. .. the small uncapped one between the tbi and the egr.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I just capped mine off when I did the Junk yard TBI on my CJ5.
God bless.
Jon In Tucson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.