Timing Chain cover alignment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Timing Chain cover alignment

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Timing Chain cover alignment

I've got an 85 CJ7 with the 258. I just replaced the timing chain and am getting ready to install the timing cover. The FSM calls for using an alignment tool to center the timing cover around the end of the crankshaft where the vibration dampner goes. What's everyone do for this step without having the special tool?? I've also got my oil pan off so there's some wiggle room for the timing cover.

shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

I am doing this soon and would like to bump for info. Also shadoow, how did this go for you? Do you have any links to write ups? I have been searching the forum and google and no one has a good step by step write up on how to change the timing chain.
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Just install the cover with a couple of bolts loosely. Then install the harmonic balance, torque all the bolts you can access, remove harmonic balancer, torque bolts you could not access.

Paul
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I loosely install the 2 shouldered bolts and line up the oil pan gasket rails flush to the block and cover then tighten everything. I have not had any leaks yet.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BO
I am doing this soon and would like to bump for info. Also shadoow, how did this go for you? Do you have any links to write ups? I have been searching the forum and google and no one has a good step by step write up on how to change the timing chain.
No links or anything. It's pretty easy once you get to the point of pulling the harmonic balancer then the timing chain cover. The FSM covers it in good detail and there are posts on this forum that have links to a PDF of the FSM.
Getting to the point where u can remove the harmonic balancer is the pain!! First I removed the alternator and loosened the PS pump to be able to later remove the belts. Then I removed the fan, then radiator. Took the belts and fan hub off & was ready for the balancer.
Others may have other ways, but that's how I got there.
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

I just pressed on my balancer after the timing cover was already on tight. Seemed to just slide on through the seal no problem. I better make sure I ain't leaking any oil from there. Oops
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Thanx for the info guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.