Timing blowing electrode off sparkplug? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Timing blowing electrode off sparkplug?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

Timing blowing electrode off sparkplug?

I have the Howell kit on my 82 CJ7. I also have the team rush upgrade.
I finally cured my over rich fuel issue and decided my plugs found probably stand to be changed. When I pulled them 5 out of 6 had the electrodes broken off! They were all snapped off flush with the top of the isolator. I've never experienced this before and was baffled.

I took one of the plugs to a local jeep guru who advised me that I had timing issues most likely due to being off a few degrees. He also said that I was likely sucking oil through the PCV valve. He sugested changing the plugs, PCV valve and redoing the timing.

Here's where I'm confused and its most likely due to total ignorance. I have the jeep set for 8 deg and it actually ran pretty well with those blown plugs. If I change the timing it feels like its "wrong" giving appropriate physical indications of bad timing.

The plugs looked otherwise like they had a lot of sooting on them, which is what I would expect from the overly rich system that was there before.

Thoughts? At this point, I just want the stupid thing to run without many more issues. I have a smog due in August that I want to get through. I'd just drop it with the jeep guru to get it fixed but he recently went back into building race cars :/

Thanks,

Mike

Unread 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Snapped off, or erroded away?
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

My first vision (wish isn't very likely at all) is piston is making contact with the ground electrode and tapped it enough to snap off all the center electrodes. Stock engine, stock plugs? If so, probably not the case, unless you've had serious milling of the head and deck surfaces.

Is see you are running an aftermarket pumped up ignition system. Maybe was to much for those tiny electrodes haha

Last edited by TIPPEDITOVER; 05-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: added text
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Got a few pics?
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The coil on plug on the grand Cherokee blew away the center electrode in less then 70,000 miles. Looked like someone filed it flush with the ceramic insulator.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
blubullett
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Lean mixture or overly advanced timing would cause that.
blubullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The coil on plug on the grand Cherokee blew away the center electrode in less then 70,000 miles. Looked like someone filed it flush with the ceramic insulator.
"only" 70k miles?
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb

"only" 70k miles?
Got it with 68,000 on the clock. Changed plugs right after I got it. Ran fine. Would have never known the plugs were fried. Got to love coil on plug.
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

I'll post some pics ASAP. The plugs had maybe 4k on them and were bausch platnums for factory application.
I'll throw the timing light on it again and check the timing. I just moved so my light is MIA...

Imagine the electrode (what I'm calling the hooked portion attached to the rim of the mouth of the plug) missing from about 1/16 in above the mouth of the plug. It's really impressive to me that they ran at all. You can see the burn marks from the spark arcing to the center post.
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Hey Gunrun, a little off topic but how did you solve your over rich issue? I have a Howell TBI on the same engine as you and mine has been rich since the day i put it on. I have had Howell re-burn me some new chips and have it close now but it is still a little rich. I have the head in the machine shop now which is getting bigger valves and port work so it will draw more air to help this issue out plus give me some more power. Just curious as to what you did? As for your problem; I would say you have a detonation issue but don't know how you could have that problem only running 8 degrees of timing? I am up around 12 degrees with my timing running a HEI ignition and I don't have any detonation problems. I would also be concerned about what those broken off pieces did inside the cylinder. When I took my head off the go into the shop I noticed slight vertical score marks on the cylinder walls, which is now leading me to do the bottom end. Anyway let me know what you did...thanks!
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Got it with 68,000 on the clock. Changed plugs right after I got it. Ran fine. Would have never known the plugs were fried. Got to love coil on plug.
Yep. My 04 Suburban has over 160k, original plugs. Still runs fine, gets the same gas mileage it always has. It's not exactly coil on plug, there's a short wire from each coil, but still....
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I had Bosch platinums in my 88 Daytona and with the MSD firing the plugs it burned 1/16 off the grounding arm.
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Get rid of the Bosch platinum's! Go back to good old coper autolites. I too tried platinum plugs only to be disappointed with them and the performance.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
mlittle
1985 CJ7 

I have read not to use platnum plugs in our jeeps. I run copper Autolites in mine and they work well.

Like Jayzcj5 I, also would like to know how you corrected your rich running TBI, I'm having that problem with mine.
1985 CJ7, 258 with TBI, Header, T5, 3:54 gears
mlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
Get rid of the Bosch platinum's! Go back to good old coper autolites. I too tried platinum plugs only to be disappointed with them and the performance.
I agree. I don't like Bosch Platnium in anything and the ones I have seen came with the electrode level with the insulator. Go to the parts store and ask to see a new one. I think you will find there is nothing wrong with them.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.