Timing Advance Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Timing Advance Question

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-17-2002, 03:34 PM   #1
CJ8DV8

Timing Advance Question

Hi Gang-

Question:

When I time my engine, at idle up to about 1000 rpm, the timing is set to 6 degrees btdc. I've asked several people but have mixed answers. Most say this is too retarded (in more ways than one) and should be set to about 12 degrees.

BUT...

When I rev up to above 1,000 rpm and above, the timing jumps to about 12 - 15 degrees btdc. This is what most people agree with.

What's the deal with the timing jumping like that? The emission sticker says that the timing should be set at 6 degrees at 1500 rpm, but this is the rpm range when the timing advances.

BTW, all computer and emission stuff is intact. I also follow the the timing instructions on the emission label (disconnect the distributer vacuum advance line and plug vacuum hose, etc)

Anyone else have this timing advance situation? Is this normal?

Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by CJ8DV8:
<strong>Hi Gang-

Question:

When I time my engine, at idle up to about 1000 rpm, the timing is set to 6 degrees btdc. I've asked several people but have mixed answers. Most say this is too retarded (in more ways than one) and should be set to about 12 degrees.

BUT...

When I rev up to above 1,000 rpm and above, the timing jumps to about 12 - 15 degrees btdc. This is what most people agree with.

What's the deal with the timing jumping like that? The emission sticker says that the timing should be set at 6 degrees at 1500 rpm, but this is the rpm range when the timing advances.

BTW, all computer and emission stuff is intact. I also follow the the timing instructions on the emission label (disconnect the distributer vacuum advance line and plug vacuum hose, etc)

Anyone else have this timing advance situation? Is this normal?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Your timing will advance with the engine RPM to keep the spark arrival at the correct time. Most engines will have a total timing advance of at least 32 degrees at full speed. If your initial timing is set too high (10 to 15 degrees is too high for a stock engine) your total advance will stand a good chance of being too much and can cause really bad things to your engine - holes in pistons come to mind...
I usually set my 304 V8 to about 7 to 8 degrees initial advance and it seems to work well there.
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
johny1i

Mine is pretty consistent with oldjeepguy, 9-10 degrees at 1600 rpm, but I also use 89 octane gas to help make sure that it doesn't ping. A question for oldjeep--have you ever experimented with running your vacuum advance from a ported (carb) source versus the stock manifold vacuum source? I know some guys make this modification, and I wondered if it has any advantages.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

Check your manual, but you usually set your timing with your vacuum advance hose off the distributor and plugged, and the idle set to about 500 RPM. Timing should be between 5 & 8 degrees BTDC. That's it. Once the vacuum is hooked up and working properly, your engine will advance to what it needs to and run fine.

The initial setting, however, is crucial. I had a 258 that I modified with a mild cam, and my initial setting had to be 16 degrees BTDC at idle for the engine to run right. Depends on your motor, whether it is stock or modified.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.