Time to start the hacking away at the jeep to-do list, first up smog - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Time to start the hacking away at the jeep to-do list, first up smog

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
NateT
1986 CJ7 

Time to start the hacking away at the jeep to-do list, first up smog

I am trying to do my pre-smog work, pulled my plugs and they look like crap. I have uploaded a few pics, This is on a 258. Spark plug is half black/half white and the black portion is chunking off. I have looked inside the spark plug cylinder and do not see any coolant, possibly running to lean? How do I tell?

img_0086.jpg   img_0087.jpg   img_0088.jpg  
NateT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Crisco87
1977 CJ7 

I thought thick black meant it was running rich? If they were clean that would mean lean...???

I'm still learning all this so I could be completely wrong.
Crisco87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
HiGrnd
1983 CJ7 

white spots and build up mean lean black can be caused by several things....rich, to oil in the blow by gases getting into the combustion chamber, etc.
HiGrnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Don't forget the 258 manifold sucks and some cylinders will run rich and some run lean if the manifold heater is not working.
Also how you do the plug test is important. IF you want accuracy, you need to start with new plugs and see what happens after a run.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

These are good looking plugs.
image-3578887844.jpg   image-3560328685.jpg  
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
NateT
1986 CJ7 

I put new plugs in last night, I will look at them when I get home, I actually passed the smog test but still want to get this issue cleaned up.
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
NateT
1986 CJ7 

I drove around for about a week and it started running real bad, wont go over 30mph. Pulled the plugs again and they looked like below. Still burning half black and half white. My thoughts are that after a few months they will start getting really bad again.
img_0089.jpg  
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
NateT
1986 CJ7 

Driveline snapped on my test drive after to checked all the plugs and made the the cables were connected, guess I will worry about this problem later. One note to all new jeep owners, when you test drive your jeep in the rain, carry you cell phone so can call for a ride home.
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Only in the rain?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When I met my wife and started wrenching on her moms CJ it took 5 years to work all the bugs out.

Biggest help was fixing vacuum leaks. Learning what the BBD needs to be happy and taking control of the spark.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
NateT
1986 CJ7 

Drive line fixed and lengthened. Was not as costly as I thought. Runs pretty good now.
img_0192.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
NateT
1986 CJ7 

took the top off today and of course we got an unexpected storm. Going to try the Nutter bypass tonight since I just passed smog and wont have worry about it for 2 more years. Hopefully I dont run into any issues down the line because CA is so strict. Jeep is not running good at all, went from blowing white smoke to just being sluggish at low RPMs. I did a compression check and it between 123-130. I was impressed.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Heh, I took mine off a couple weeks ago - right before all the storms we had. Wet seats every morning. Didn't care in the least (especially on the days my wife had to drive it to work because I had long distances to travel)! Yours is way too new, and has much fancier stuff on it smog- and carburation-wise than mine. So I can't be much help there beyond saying that you should tune it up to the specs, ensure there aren't any vacuum leaks, carb is rebuilt, smog gear is working correctly, etc. We have a cross to bear out here in CA and written on it is CARB. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.