Time to kill some rust... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Time to kill some rust...

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

Time to kill some rust...

Ok guys, I just wanted to run this by you and see what everyone had to say. My plans for this weekend are as follows:

1) Pull out the interior of the CJ

2) Wire brush/Sand every bit of rust out of my floor boards etc down to bear metal again.

3) Use Permatex Rust Treatment on the floor pans etc and let it set up.

4) Come in and repaint the tub with the hope that rust will not come back, at least not in the next 8-10 yeats

Now I was just curious on your opinions of how this might work out for me. There is some moderate rust in the tub, but nothing serious as of right now. I just want to take care of it before replacement is my only option. How well does the permatex rust sealer work. I have heard some great things about it if you sand down to bear metal etc... Any thought on this would be most appreciated

Oh and one more thing, What type of paint should I use to repaint my floorboards? Just curious what most ppl use here. Thanks.

Jason

CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
leavundst
1984 CJ7 

I used por-15 but still in my opinion the only way it won't come back in 10 years is if you cut it out now. As for the floor of the tub I used U-pol raptor.
leavundst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
walldrug16
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ive used por-15 and it was great, but yea i agree
walldrug16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Try and get all the rust. I used Eastwoods rust encapsulater paint and and happy with the results 3 years later. I applied two coats with days of drying time in the summer sun.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Zero Rust is pretty much the same and it comes in spray cans and is a bit easier to work with than POR. A rust converter such as Permatex may react with some top coats. I would wire brush and then spray Zero Rust then top coat with some thing durable.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies and opinions. I'm still researcihng some ideas and everyone here has given me some insight on what they have done. This is why I love this community...always willing to help and share experiences!
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.