Tilt Steering componants. Where can i get parts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt Steering componants. Where can i get parts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Tilt Steering componants. Where can i get parts?

Ive replaced the bearings at both ends and still have some movement which i believe is the 2 pins in the tilt section. The column is in good condition other than these pins so dont want to replace but i cant find anyone that sells these 2 pins. Anyone got any ideas (online sellers as im in AU)

This is the kit im looking for

fvug-v8a.b.jpg

VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
chucker2
1981 CJ7 

just google saginaw steering column parts.

chucker
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

I'm sure you know what your doing and where the movement is coming from. Having just done this myself, did you consider the torx bolts being loose on the inside? there are four of them. If it's just the pivot pins and you can't find any, you might be able to lightly hit them with a hammer while standing upright to mushroom them some. In small increments so that they go in tight but not too much so that they won't go in. That's if you can't find replacements. After having done mine, I get a very very minor amount of movement in the up down direction. I think that is due to being a tilt column. It might be the pivot pins being worn, but they went in snug.

I have seen some of the steering column items for the jeep in the help section at autozone. and at NAPA and at Oreilly. I bet those locations, if they don't have what you need can order.
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

When you go to a parts store and ask for parts for a Jeep They usually look at you like a cow looking at a new gate. Go to the help section and look at their GM and Chevy parts (they are Saginaw and will work).
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

How far have you disassembled your column? Have you gone down deep into the guts? Delirious mentions four bolts down inside, but you have to remove everything to get to them. They make an important connection, and it's a poor design! It is a common place for the column to loosen because the contact points are small. When people pull on the wheel to get in or out of their vehicle they put sideways torque at that mounting point, and eventually it will loosen. The column is very easy to rebuild, however, so don't be intimidated by it. To achieve just those parts, you can purchase a steering wheel puller for around $15. Pull the steering wheel from any 70's/80's model Saginaw column in the junkyard. All of the parts in your picture can be removed easily, but the the tilt pins need some special attention to get them out. To remove the tilt pins, place a socket with a larger diameter over the pin. Use an appropriate washer over the socket. Screw the correct screw, through the washer and socket, into the pin until it pulls itself out. Use some Blaster. The bearing race (lower left hand corner of your pic) is usually stuck to the column. It will be SO STUCK that it looks machined in place. I imagine yours is still good. The round cap with the square hole goes over the top of the spring. You can carefully pry it out with a screwdriver placed into the hole.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

I already rebuilt the column and the 4 bolts are tight (and used locktight on them too) but the side pins for the tilt pretty much fell out. I get sideways movement but none vertically nor do i get any by pulling on the wheel.

In AU we cant just go to a wrecker as anything of the same era that used a sag column has been crushed or sold. They dont hang onto the old stuff as it gets used for scrap steel.

Skeer: i used your pic's when i did the rebuild
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
gtg457b

I just ordered some parts today from http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com. They have great customer service both over the phone and via email. You can search by Jeep column components, but the parts I needed were found when searching under the GM page.
gtg457b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
I already rebuilt the column and the 4 bolts are tight (and used locktight on them too) but the side pins for the tilt pretty much fell out. I get sideways movement but none vertically nor do i get any by pulling on the wheel.

In AU we cant just go to a wrecker as anything of the same era that used a sag column has been crushed or sold. They dont hang onto the old stuff as it gets used for scrap steel.

Skeer: i used your pic's when i did the rebuild
Let me see what I have laying around the shop. I might have what you need. Do you think the body of the column is worn (are the holes wallered out?), or do you think it is the pins?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Pretty sure its the pins. I have another body here if i find its that as well. Normally if one is worn it starts to chop out the other due to the movement.
Unread 08-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think I have everything you need. Not sure about the bearing race... but I'll throw it in the envelope. I'm not positive what it goes to! Spring, cap, and pins. PM me your address...

Unread 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Holey Moley! Australia!? How do I mail to you? I'll double check my stuff and see if there is something else you might need.

Unread 08-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

USPS is pretty cheap for the little stuff. Ill cover whatever costs you have. REALLY appreciate the help mate. You have a cold beer here whenever you wanna visit (and a CJ to drive while your here to)
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
USPS is pretty cheap for the little stuff. Ill cover whatever costs you have. REALLY appreciate the help mate. You have a cold beer here whenever you wanna visit (and a CJ to drive while your here to)
Now I know for sure I wouldn't mind the cold beer. And I certainly wouldn't mind the CJ. But I would have a HECK uva time with that RHD!!

Pay it forward. It's a good policy, and I had TONS of help beyond belief during my build. I am glad to help you.

I'll look into mailing on Monday. I have no idea what's to be done to mail internationally.

Unread 08-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

If i can drive LHD when i went to vegas you can do it when ya come visit
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Column parts are gathered. They're coming greasy!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.