Tilt Steering Column Replacement Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt Steering Column Replacement Suggestions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
misplacetexan
1983 CJ5 

Tilt Steering Column Replacement Suggestions

My 83 CJ5 tilt steering column requires replacement and/or repair. Has anyone had any dealings with any of the following companies/rebuilders/persons:

New Jeep Steering Columns from Centech

Price: $632.50

Steering Columns - Custom Built
cj7 cj5 cj jeep tilt steering column 76' + : eBay Motors (item 320511630967 end time May-02-10 21:31:18 PDT)

Price:$319.00

GM TILT STEERING COLUMN SALES & SERVICE / INDEX
JEEP CJ CJ5 CJ7 76-86 TILT STEERING COLUMN REBUILT : eBay Motors (item 360255156698 end time Apr-29-10 17:07:25 PDT)

Price:$350.00

Jeep & SUV Tilt Columns
Flaming River Tilt Steering Column 1980 81 82 83 Jeep : eBay Motors (item 270554981511 end time Apr-27-10 21:04:29 PDT)

Price:$395.00

Thanks for any feedback or other recommendations.

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I put in a Centech column in mine. It went right in with no problem, and it works great. The two main things that atracted me to the Centech is:

#1. It is brand spankin' new, not rebuilt or remanufactured
#2. It is completely stock, with no funny looking keys or special mounts or anything else. It was a direct swap with the
original.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

I have the Centech column also:

When I purchased mine I was on a 'waiting list' for a number of months. The column came in a specially designed shipping box without any problem. I did have to get the ignition cylinder replaced a few months later, because the chrome 'dog ears' had come off (they are attached in a really rinky-dink way).

Column bolted right in, although the welded on nuts where the bracket attaches are metric thread as opposed to the original SAE. I also had them install the correct ignition switch for my 76 wiring.

Edit: Here's another new column if you want some bling: http://www.ididitinc.com/retrofit_co...j_jeep_fs.html
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacetexan View Post
My 83 CJ5 tilt steering column requires replacement and/or repair. Has anyone had any dealings with any of the following companies/rebuilders/persons:
Nope, not me. However, repair is, .... umm... easy/doable/cheap. It is a common column from GM vehicles. The design/build at least (they might have different lengths so any swap may not work).
There are threads on here for fixing slop in the tilt function. What is wrong with yours ?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
misplacetexan
1983 CJ5 

My steering column has lots of slop, moves up and down a couple of inches, moves a little to the right and left, and will not lock in the high tilt position. I have read a few (about 5 or more) of the repairing tilt steering column threads. I have also been on Dale's Jeep Tilt Column Fix (Tilt Column Fix - Dale's Jeep Junk).
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

I've never had tilt steering or been in a Jeep with tilt steering. Is this something that you can't live without once you've had it or been in a Jeep with it? Curious minds want to know.............I'm 5"11 by the way since I know most taller people have them.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacetexan View Post
My steering column has lots of slop, moves up and down a couple of inches, moves a little to the right and left, and will not lock in the high tilt position.
Yep, sounds like all you have to do is take it apart enough to tighten four screws (as most articles suggest).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Jeeper View Post
I've never had tilt steering or been in a Jeep with tilt steering. Is this something that you can't live without once you've had it or been in a Jeep with it? Curious minds want to know.............I'm 5"11 by the way since I know most taller people have them.
It is a comfort feature. I have never driven a Jeep without stock tilt. Not sure where a non tilt steering wheel normally rests. I could probably live without it but I sure do like it.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Add about $100.00 to the flaming river, it does not come with clamp needed for mounting or ignition switch...
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

If you do not want to deal with repairing the one you have, place a thread in JeepForum's Wanted Forum before you go blow a lot of money on a brand-new replacement. You will be able to find a nice, used column for much less than that.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

I installed the Centech column in my 78 CJ5 and am happy with it. I had another occasion to deal with Centech and they went out of their way to help me.
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Buyer beware from a column you find on the EBay site. There's a regular seller 'srrcwheelman' on there of "rebuilt" tilt steering columns for jeep. In my case it took two tries and I still had to add missing parts. The seller may have changed his name by now so be careful. Best go with a complete Flaming River column.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
misplacetexan
1983 CJ5 

Thanks everyone, for all your inputs. I think, I am going to attempt to repair my steering column before I spend any big bucks on a new column.
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Buyer beware from a column you find on the EBay site. There's a regular seller 'srrcwheelman' on there of "rebuilt" tilt steering columns for jeep. In my case it took two tries and I still had to add missing parts. The seller may have changed his name by now so be careful. Best go with a complete Flaming River column.
That's a little concerning to hear. I pulled the trigger on one of these late last week but still hadn't heard from him. I just sent him a nice little note asking him to ship a high quality no BS column or to refund me my money if there is any doubt about its' quality. I'll just have to wait and see what he says.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

Anyone have any experience with an ididit column? Was thinking about ordering one of those.

Last edited by CajunCJ; 04-27-2010 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Spelling
CajunCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

No experience, but IDIDIT is a 'local' company for me (and I always try to support 'the locals' first). Had I not gotten the OEM replacement from Centech, their's was the one that I would have gotten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.