Tilt Steering Column ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt Steering Column ????

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-04-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
tgc79cj5

Tilt Steering Column ????

I recently installed the Bestop high-back bucket seats in my '79 CJ5 and they look great!!! But...... the new seats cause me to sit higher in the Jeep, which I like, but this puts the steering wheel almost in my lap--- bad for driving, REALLY bad for getting out of the darned Jeep!

I know they make aftermarket tilt columns that bolt on, but I was wondering:

1) Is there a crossover from another make/model of car/truck that will bolt in (something I could get from a salvage yard)?

2) Would I have to replace the steering shaft (it's new) if I go to a tilt column?

Thanks for any help!

tgc79cj5

tgc79cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 03:13 PM   #2
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

I asked pretty much the same question a while back.

Click here to read the replies.

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
tgc79cj5

Thanks for the thread, it should help me to start looking at some of the local salvage yards.

Did you swap out your steering column with the tilt?? If so, how did it go and what did you wind up using?

Thanks again.

tgc79cj5
Unread 12-05-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

I haven't located a steering column yet....but I haven't really looked either. A buddy and I are going to a junkyard tomorrow to look for a few things....I'm gonna see what I can come up with then. I'll keep you posted if I find a good donor....and what kind of make and model. If I don't find anything....I might just buy a new one. They're not too expensive.

Here's a link for a new column.

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You do know that a tilt column was a factory option in CJ5s in 1979...
The tilt column that I installed in my '71 CJ5 came from a '78 CJ5 that I cannibalized.
I believe that Centech offers refurbed actual CJ columns. Of course these CJ columns are identical to some other GM columns.

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:44 AM   #6
boredstiff

Older GM S-10's and Pontiac's

You should be able to find the same column in the older GM S-10's. Since the Jeep column was made by GM. Another option is that older Pontiac cars had the same type of column... however, with those the length of the intermediate shaft would have to be altered.
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 11:09 PM   #7
K5QM

I used an '86 Firebird tilt in a '65 CJ-5 and had no problem. Look for a Firebird with floor shift if you have a standard tyranny.
Jerry
k5qm@arrl.net
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
tgc79cj5

Thanks to everyone for the replies!!

I haven't had time to follow-up with any of the salvage yards, but I'm thinking that the refurbished column may be the way to go for the money.

Thanks,

tgc79cj5

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.