Tilt steering column - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt steering column

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Tilt steering column

Can any body direct me to a thread on what tilt steering columns will work an how to instill and add power steering too

Newbjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Here is one for the power steering. You will find you get a lot more help and responses if you help yourself first. Use the search this forum feature under the CJ forum and search and research your question.
Then as questions about the parts that aren't clear. Most of the threads on how to are pretty clear though.

There is a lot of great knowledge here ready to help, they just get tired of answering the same questions over and over and doing someone's work for them.

Me, I'm pretty patient after spending the last 20 years as a retail store manager \

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/th...1-box-1478332/

The steering column I don't have a thread saved. I found an old GM Saginaw column in the JY for $40. I just looked for a truck or van one that the turn signal looked like my jeep one. slapped it in and off I went. Changing the steering wheel and adjusting the steering shaft length was the hardest part. That sucker was stuck.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

I did search it but I think I searched it in all models sorry
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbjeep View Post
I did search it but I think I searched it in all models sorry
Nothing to be sorry for at all. Sometimes I ask a stupid question just to keep them on their toes. At least that's the story I am going with

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The Jeep column is a typical Saginaw column. You can find it in most any '70s and '80s models Chevys. Cars or trucks. Mine came from a 1 ton Camper Special. Cameros, Novas, Impalas, trucks, etc... check them all. If you find a column you like then pull it AND the power steering pump and gear box. All of it will bolt right up in your CJ. Be advised, at some point the gear boxes changed fittings. Some have a flaired fitting, some have an O ring. Make sure you have the matching equipment if you pull from different vehicles.

Rebuilding the column is very easy. It's intimidating at first, but once you get into it you will have fun. IMO, retail columns are seriously over priced. Parts are still available. There are a couple good rebuild threads on JF, and there is more at Google. Good luck.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Thank you ill head to pick n pull this weekend if I get time from installing hard wood in my house
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbjeep View Post
Thank you ill head to pick n pull this weekend if I get time from installing hard wood in my house
meh... floors are over-rated. Go find a column. Your wife will love you more for it...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
jeepardy
1983 CJ7 

Here is a nice read about saginaw columns http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf
jeepardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.