Tilt and Non-Tilt Ignition Switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt and Non-Tilt Ignition Switches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Tilt and Non-Tilt Ignition Switches

Swapping my 79 CJ7's non tilt column for a tilt column from another CJ from around the same year. I noticed the orientation of the pins on the ignition switches (the one that mounts to the column) looks like they're 180 degrees opposed from one another on each column.

I searched around on the parts sites and found that there are different switches for the tilt and non tilt columns. But they still look the same to me, except for having their pins flip flopped.

Will it work to just plug my existing connector from the Jeep side into the tilt column's switch? Will the pins in my connector mate to the proper ones on the ignition switch on the column this way?

Admittingly haven't looked at any wiring diagrams buuuut I was hoping some of the collective group wisdom would come out with a "Hell yes I've done this swap and it will work!!"

Thank you

Marc

JeepinEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinEng View Post

I searched around on the parts sites and found that there are different switches for the tilt and non tilt columns. But they still look the same to me, except for having their pins flip flopped.

Will it work to just plug my existing connector from the Jeep side into the tilt column's switch? Will the pins in my connector mate to the proper ones on the ignition switch on the column this way?
That is all you need to do, use or purchase the tilt columns ignition switch as it works opposite of the standard column switch. The electrical connection plugs right into it just like it does on the standard column.

I've done this same swap on my Jeep CJ also without issues.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Great!! Thank you for the reply Keith, that's what I was hoping you'd say.

By the way awesome restoration on your Jeep. I've cruised your rebuild thread a couple of times and it's really impressive.

This is a little off the original topic but how'd you like going back to 32 inch tall tires from your previous 33s? I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my CJ7's stance.

Thanks
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

My initial intent was to purchase 33" tires again, but after seeing several CJ's on the forum with 32" tires and how well they looked in proportion with the wheel well openings I decided to get the 32" instead. Plus, in past experiences with any lift kit over 3" would negate a rougher ride, possible drive shaft vibrations and the wider 33" tires tracking with every contour of the road.

IMHO, I made the right choice with the 32" tires and 4.10 gears with the 5 speed. If I kept the 4 speed, then 3.73 would have been my choice for gearing.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the comments on the tires, good to hear the prespective. I'm hoping to eventually go with the 3.73 gearing 32 in tire setup with a 4 speed too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.