Tilt column horn plunger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tilt column horn plunger

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
gonoles
1982 DJ 

Tilt column horn plunger

I was swapping my standard column for a CJ tilt column in my 80 CJ5 last night. I was reconnecting the U joint, and heard a tink in the cabin, looked, and saw the horn plunger had shot out of the column and was laying on the seat. I have the plunger, and the spring, but cant figure out whats supposed to hold the plunger in because I dont know what it looked like to start with. The original non tilt column was broken so I have nothing to go on. I'm going to install a Grant wheel instead of the original steering wheel, if it makes any difference. If anyone knows if theres supposed to be something other than just the plunger and spring, or if anyone has a column diagram, that help would be much appreciated.

Unread 08-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
bdpalace
1983 CJ7 

I had the same thing happen. The fact that is just popped out was the most confusing piece for me. However, I figured out that the spring goes in and then the flat base of the plunger goes in next and is held in by friction. Nothing else holds it in which is why it jumps out on its own. I spent a lot of time looking for the spring on two occasions so now, whenever I have to remove the steering wheel, I pull the plunger and spring and put it in a baggie with the rest of the bolts so it doesn't pop out and get lost. Hope this helps.
bdpalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
gonoles
1982 DJ 

Ah, ok. That was what I was wondering, how the plunger is held in. I suppose who ever had this column before me liked to blow the horn, so the friction is gone. I was afraid I had lost something on the shop floor that held the thing in. Thanks.
Unread 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
bdpalace
1983 CJ7 

Correction....there is a small plastic collar that goes on the plunger and into the spring tube. That's the friction piece. Sorry for the confusion, I often think faster than I type.
bdpalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I'll being interested to learn IF you have turn signal issues with your Grant wheel as I have #334. The included horn ring on mine makes the left turn signal hang up on occasion, and the right turn abruptly shut off prematurely. I keep an eye on it so it's not a safety issue but if there's a new corrected ring for these Grant wheels that I've not heard of please advise.
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid
Gus
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
gonoles
1982 DJ 

The wheel I got was the Grant classic cruiser 12 1/2" and the Grant install kit. I see now why there are so many posts about the horn, couldnt get it to work with this new wheel, I couldnt get the wire to go far enough into the shaft where the plunger goes to make contact. Oh well, looks like Ill put a horn button somewhere out of site without cutting the original harness. I dont have a problem with my turn signals as of yet, just got it done this afternoon. The column I got, however, had just been reworked before I ordered it, so that may be a reason. My wheel is Grant number 836, looks like the 334 just chrome.
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I have yet to see an aftermarket steering wheel with a properly working horn. Mine did for a while, until the rig-job wore thru the slip ring and caused it to beep every time I turned the wheel 3" to the left... no horn now unfortunately.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Gonoles, you may be able to solder on an extension to that contact wire. I reckon I was lucky having installed a shorter GM steering column in my '78. I initially had an issue with a sticking horn blaring after just pushing once, turned out it was the horn relay sticking closed. The only remaining issue with that Grant 334 wheel is the turn signal cam being influced by the internal horn cup.
~a note from the dirty tricks dept: As the horn wiring on the internal fender is so near the left turn signal wiring running a quickie temporary jumper wire between them yields the horn beeping each time the left turn signal is engaged.~
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button , cj-5 , column , horn , plunger bracket

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.