Tie rod trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tie rod trouble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Tie rod trouble

I noticed the other day that my tie rod is rather bent, just slightly.. I decided to remove it and have my machinist friend straighten it.. Problem is , even though it is unbolted and free, I cannot get it out.. Seems the springs are in the way and the threaded portion of the bal joints will not fully clear the holes.... Do I need to drop the spring enough to get it out?

1975 CJ5

zillla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Put jack stands under the frame and let the suspension droop.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
mundy1
1976 CJ7 

If you have it off replace it with a new one.
It being bent and rebent will severly weeken it and it could crack or break in half on the next big bump.
They aren't that expensive and failure could be real scary on the road let alone on the trail.
mundy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Replace it. It has been weakened and WILL fail. They are cheap. Please be safe. And yes jack up the frame and let the suspension droop.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

it you need a tie rod puller, they rent them at auto zone. just be careful when taking it off, when my finally let go it would have broken bone if it had hit my arm or leg, actually chipped the concrete in my garage floor
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

It sounds like he has them loose but they will not come out because of the interference between the knuckle and the spring. Lifting the frame to allow the suspension to droop would not provide enough room to get mine out.

The easiest way to get them out it to loosen both of the clamps and spin the rod until both tie-rods completely un-thread from the rod. Then they should be able to fall out with the rod not attached. I went with the Go-fer-it tie rod flip to keep that from happening again. It is easier to work on when you can pull them straight out of the top. I would also suggest replacing the bent rod.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Thanx for the replies.. Yes I have then loose, but can't remove em.. I ordered a new tie rod assembly so I'll deal with it when the parts arrive.. Thanx for the replies, and now I know how to get em out and in..
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Ok, update.. I recieved the new tie rod and ends today.. I was trying to unscrew the old tie rod off the ends with a pair of channel locks and the ends popped out. The new tie rod and ends went in easily, assembled.. Guess the bend in my tie rod was hangin me up.. Thanx again for all teh hep.
Unread 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
RARECJ8

save the old one for a trail spare.

good luck

mb

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.