Tick to tap, collapsed lifter... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Tick to tap, collapsed lifter...

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tick to tap, collapsed lifter...

My 258 has had a small tick since I purchased it a while back. It has gotten a little louder since then. I just replaced the rocker arms and push rods but that didnt fix the problem so I am pretty sure it is a collapsed lifter. If I am going to be replacing lifters, I am going to just replace the cam while I am it apart. This is the one I am looking at getting from comp cam, just looking for opinions. I just want to get rid of my tapping, I dont want to do anything crazy with this jeep.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=CL68-231-4

jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

See if you can find a product called Hydra Valve Clean by Siloo. You may not even need to replace anything.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

My CJ also has a tick, and has had it since I got it. I think it is getting worse though it sounds the same as yesterday. If I compare it to what it sounded like when I got it I think I would say it is worse. Getting a little worse everyday makes it hard to tell.
That said, I have a good friend who is an ASE certified auto tech and has worked for some major dealerships. He and I looked into it (some disassembly) He thinks I have a piston wrist pin knocking and assure me it is not fatal. (The wrist pin connects the piston to the connecting rod which connects to the crankshaft.)
I hate that tick.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Try a can of Restore. This stuff works!
What weight oil are you using now?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Dougyfreshh
1985 CJ7 

Pour a half a quart of atf trans fluid in your oil run it for a few miles and change oil some times it will clean them up
Dougyfreshh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Marvel Mystery oil worked for me. Drain a quart from your crank case and add a quart of the stuff. Didn't take long for it to work for me.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

Is the tick/tack only at startup or is it there once the engine's warmed up. If you're using a fram oil filter, I'd change that right away to a better quality filter like a Napa Gold (Wix) or a PureOne. Changing to a heavier oil like a 15W-40 might also help. Per the factory owner's manual, heavier weight oil like 40W or 50W is fine in warmer temps and for older engine's like our's, it generally helps all the time unless outside air temps are consistently below freezing. Also, might try a high-detergent oil like Rotella to clean things up. Might sound like a shortcut fix, but switching oil weights and filter works wonders at quieting valve train noise in the 258.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1al View Post
Changing to a heavier oil like a 15W-40 might also help. Per the factory owner's manual, heavier weight oil like 40W or 50W is fine in warmer temps and for older engine's like our's.
Just a thought on this and my previous post. A wrist pin does not get normal engine oil lubrication. A heavier oil might help rule out a lifter tick/tap.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.