Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Throwout Bearing??? Or other problem ?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  titomars 
#1 ·
My Jeep is an 83 Scrambler with a 360 and a T176 behind it. Only has about a thousand miles since i built it. When i push clutch down and put it in gear it makes a whirling sound when i let up about an inch. It goes away when clutch is not applied and also if i put tranny back in neutral...it was a new throwout bearing when we built this. Clutch linkage is still on body although thinking of moving it to frame. Any thoughts ?

#4 ·
I recently had one go out at ~500 miles. Just a bad part I think. If it was the throw out though, I'm pretty sure itd still whine with the clutch in and trans in neutral. I'd be looking at input/ouput bearings. Maybe have a brave soul crawl under and see if they can hear where its coming from.

#8 ·
What you're describing sounds more like a pilot bearing/bushing problem. Did you install a new one? Pilot bearings generally make their noises upon release of the clutch.
T/O bearings generally make their noise pushing the clutch in. Trans input bearings generally make their noises when spinning so most of the time.

#10 ·
you set them flush to the top of the bore. Did you use bronze bushing or bearing? if the pilot is too loose on the shaft what happens is as you left out the clutch the input shaft is moving around side to side in the bearing's bore. this is most noticeable with bronze pilot bushings. After a few hundred miles the grease disappears and the slop starts.

#13 ·
I am not saying that the pilot is definitely the noise. I am not there listening to it. But I think it is pretty much a given you are going to have to tear it back down to find the offending part causing the noise. I think if it was me I would replace both the pilot bearing and the T/O bearing if nothing obvious stand out ...... just to be safe.

#12 ·
Before my Dad and I reassmbled our 71 CJ5 we thought our throw out bearing was good. No noise and it spun without any noise. The jeep ran great but after abour putting 300 miles from the frame off restoration, the gringding noise started. It occurred when he put it into gear and stopped when out of gear. Anytime the clutch pedal was applied, the "scretching" started. We dropped the transmission out but left the bell housing on. The hole for the clutch fork and drive spindle was enough to replace it. It took us about 4 hours, we took our time becuase his 71 is completely restored and didn't want to scratch any paint. Good Luck. OIIIIIIIO

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.