Throwout bearing HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Throwout bearing HELP!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Throwout bearing HELP!!

I just got my 360 back from the shop and they did a clutch job too. It is on the hoist right now ready to go back in and I noticed that the throwout bearing was absent. The fork is there but there is nothing between the fork end and the clutch. They were supposed have this all done but now I am stuck. I have never installed a bearing before or done clutch work which is why I had them do a new clutch kit in the first place. I cant go and get one from them, they are out of state and the motor was shipped. Can someone tell me how to install one, its a 360 AMC 1977 CJ5. I am right now calling around trying to find one. Thanks.
Mike

atom73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
cscotted
1980 CJ7 

you can buy just a throwout bearing at any local parts store....Im not quite sure what your dilema is??? the throwout bearing will not be attached to the engine but rather slipped over the fork that is attached to the bellhousing...the throwout bearing then rest or slides over the tranny's front output shaft collar... If im way off from your problem repost with more specifics..
cscotted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
atom73
1977 CJ5 

This is what I have, a motor with the bellhousing and new clutch kit as seen in the picture and the empty engine bay with the trans input shaft sticking out of the tranny. The missing part is the release or throwout bearing. Like I said I have not done this before so a simple answer could easily be evading me. I am on my way to the parts store to buy a bearing (actually order one, it takes a day or two). I am just hoping that it will be a simple fix and the bearing will go on easily.
Mike

Unread 02-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Nice pics, excellent close ups. Your throwout bearing will have clips on one side of the bearing, they clip on the back where you can see the old marks on pic 3, bearing on the front side on the shift fork.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Thanks, so installing the throwout bearing is an easy process and wont require me to remove the bellhousing or the clutch pressure plate?
Mike
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
tsujeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom73 View Post
Thanks, so installing the throwout bearing is an easy process and wont require me to remove the bellhousing or the clutch pressure plate?
Mike
Yes, it's like a 30 second job. You should be able to slide it in there without taking anything off.
tsujeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Nice, thanks.
Mike
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
cscotted
1980 CJ7 

there you go man...it was as simple as it needed to be....fyi do NOT put any more grease on the throwout bearing...im sure when you buy it it will have some packing grease and that is fine just dont go adding any more to it... good luck and nice looking engine.
cscotted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Thanks, I am really excited to get it in and hooked up. It would be in right now if my neighbor hadnt stopped by and noticed that the clutch fork seemed loose (this lead to the bearing absence discovery).
Mike
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Yeah man see those scrape marks on the tips of the fork? That's where it clips on.. like the folks here were saying, it should take you about 30 seconds to throw that sucker on.

You should take your neighbor out for dinner some night, he just saved you an extra day or two labor having to drop the tranny after you got everything back together and realized the clutch pedal wasn't working properly!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.