Throbbin Rods CJ5 one part at a time overhaul. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Throbbin Rods CJ5 one part at a time overhaul.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

I went to install the new directional switch yesterday and it is the wrong one! Pins don't line up, ends of plug have sloping edges that will not go into the plug. Going to bring it back today with the old one in hand and try to get the right thing ordered. I was sure that I would be driving it today, but no such luck
Bummer because I ripped the gauge cluster out of my Suburban yesterday to send it out to be repaired, now I am home bound!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming—Wow…What a Ride!
Throbbin Rods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Got a picture for us of the two different plugs?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Sorry, I brought the other part back, no pic this time. After an hour of searching and finding that no one had the part in stock and ETA would be a week, I decided to superglue the cracked section so I can put it back together and finally DRIVE IT!!! Superglue seems to have taken hold nicely. Hope to do the maiden mile later today. With the current temp a chilly 31 degrees I need to wait. I did figure out something handy this week. I have a Mr Heater Heater Buddy that I use to keep my popup blind warm during deer season. I discovered that there is adequate room to place it on the floor in front of the front seats so I can have at least a modicum of warmth while working in the cab. Hope to have more pics soon, phone died and replacement should be here today.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming—Wow…What a Ride!
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Got the new directional switch today. Installed. Got the new set of side steps from OMIX today. No installation directions? Called the seller - no clue, will call the manufacturer on Monday. Gonna go lay on the floor and hold parts for a while with a puzzled look on my face. No pics will be taken lol.
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

It lives!!

FIRST RIDE!!!!
Got the new directional switch in. Fine tuned the carb. Rolled the garage door up and away we go! Only went a mile or so, but I was driving the Jeep. My road has almost no traffic so I wasn't too worried about the 2004 license plate. I had forgotten how gutless those old 6 cylinders are. Got the Jeep swerve in the front end, but I am already getting used to it again. I will look into adjusting the steering box tomorrow. I believe the crud in the gas tank is affecting the power somewhat because if you flog it going up a grade it bogs down bad, and when the negine is cold it backfires when you do that.
Got to be the nicest idling 258 I ever saw for sure. I think with a new tank and flushing the lines I will have a very driveable rig.
Almost forgot, we get about 10-15 cars a day up this road, and as I was backing into a woods road to turn around, a CJ7 went by. Got my first Jeep wave
All the knobs for the heater controls have broken inserts and will not stay on. anyone know of a source for those?
Laid under it for a while this afternoon and I think I have the side steps figured out.
Also took the time to see that it has drums all around, maybe all those disc brake parts were for a planned conversion?
I drove my Jeep.
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Want a free 20 gallon poly tank? Sending unit is roughly the same price.
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Will a 20 gallon fit in a 76 CJ5? I think it something like a 12 right now. I would love a free tank if it will fit. It fits the disability check budget lol
Thanks
Bill
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Hutch, Tried to PM you but your inbox is full.
Thanks
bill
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

OOPS! Cleaned out, ready for incoming.
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Finally getting some pics loaded. I apologize for the quality but the pics were taken in my shop since it is snowing/sleeting/raining outside.

First, the pics of the old Directional Switch

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=0

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=2

Couple pics from the inside

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...side1.jpg.html

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...side2.jpg.html

Couple pics on the outside

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=6

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=7

Few pics under the hood

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...tml?sort=3&o=9

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...ml?sort=3&o=10

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...ml?sort=3&o=11

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bil...ml?sort=3&o=12

I will get some more pics next time the sun shines!
Thanks for looking
Bill
Unread 12-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

OK, obviously I did not have the Photobucket down. Looking into it, sorry!
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Testing

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...J5/Switch3.jpg
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #28
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Think
I have it now
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #29
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Pics reposted properly

Unread 12-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Yesterday I finally took the time to get the CJ5 registered. Slight PITA. Had to call the POPO to come over and verify the VIN, then to City Hall for the first part of the registration, then to the nearest state substation to get the plate. Then I discovered there was no front plate bracket. I got out the die grinder and cut off a piece of 1x1 steel angle. Used the cutoff wheel to round all the corners and edges, and to remove any corrosion. Drilled for license plate, slotted for bumper. Primed. Painted black. Bolted to center top of front bumper and then bolted the the plate on.
Picture is before bolting down, looks like it shifted in the slot a little bit before I took the pic

Yahoo, I am legal! Gonna make an appointment for inspection next week. I think the crud in the gas tank is impacting the fuel pump, thing is short of power and runs lean unless I pull the choke out just a skosh. Then it runs perfect. Looking forward to new tank/sending unit/fuel line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.