Throbbin Rods CJ5 one part at a time overhaul. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Throbbin Rods CJ5 one part at a time overhaul.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Throbbin Rods CJ5 one part at a time overhaul.

Hi all, I was a professional mechanic for many years until I became very allergic to battery fumes. Changed careers in 1979 and went on to work in manufacturing, equal time spent in Materials/Purchasing and IT for the last 35 years. I kept all of my tools, and have been fixing all of the family vehicles for all this time. I have owned several Jeeps, some I kept and some I sold. I buy 15-20 boats per year and rehab them to sell. I rebuild 40 boat carbs in an average year. I have been out of work on disability leave for the last 11 months, and am applying for Social Security Disability in January. About 3-4 weeks back, I swapped my 99 Suburban even for a 1976 CJ5 with 57000 miles on it. It has a new radiator, appears to be a 4 core. Also new starter, Fuel pump, Solenoid. In back end I found brand new rotors, calipers and pads for the front brakes, still in the box. Based on other old parts boxes I think the clutch is recent as well. Automatic choke is disconnected and a manual cable is run to the choke. Found that the choke plate was not closing all of the way. need to change out the stud to keep it from backing off that far.
11/20/13 Pulled the carb and tore it apart today. Crud all through it, whitish stuff attached to walls of carb. Looks like galvanic reaction of some kind. Spent an hour with a small wire brush and cab cleaner and cleaned it all up. Went to remove mixture screw and it was snapped off, and from the looks screwed in to the seat and then reefed on. Looking for used carb to replace it. Also discovered that the fuel filter was full of rust, apparently I need to sa-e for a new gas tank. I do not see that there will be too much else needed to get it on the road. Gas gauge doesn't work but I bet a new sending unit and fuel tank will go a long way toward fixing that. Also planning to find a hard top, flush out the heater and change the thermostat as it gets COLD in NH. Looking forward to sharing the progress. I will post pics later on, only have the one right now.

1976-cj5.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming—Wow…What a Ride!
Throbbin Rods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

welcome for sure!! i'll be following your build as my old 1966 cj5 build is currently on hold til winter is over. i know what you mean about the cold as i'm up in northern Minnesota!
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

11/22/13 - Found a used carb on E bay for $35.00. I checked and the mixture screw moves - yay! Even if the rest of it is scrap I can use the lower section with the mixture adjustment. No more progress until that gets here.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming—Wow…What a Ride!
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

11/22/13
I have a question regarding the ignition key switch. Turns harder than a long winter and I have arthritis in my hands. How hard is it to pull the key switch and replace it? I did plenty of them in the 70's but some of my not so good ha bits in the 70's have affected my memory somewhat. Seems to me there was a pin hoke that took a small gauge paper clip or the like and you could just turn it out of the mounting hole? Anyway, I will be ordering a new switch this week and could use a refresher on pulling ignition switches lol.
Unread 11-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

one option would be to leave the key switch for the electricals and put in a push button just for the starter. i did that on an old trail rig a number of years ago and had no problems with it. sure is easier pushing a button than twisting/cranking on a key.
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Even turning it to on takes a great deal of strength - otherwise a great suggestion!
Thanks
Bill
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I've got one some place.

Oh yeah, here it is:
http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Stee...placement.html
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbin Rods View Post
Even turning it to on takes a great deal of strength - otherwise a great suggestion!
Thanks
Bill
in that case, the electricals could be converted to a toggle switch.
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

John, you also have a write up in your signature links!
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Many thanks for the write up on the key switch. I haven't tackled that yet because it was about 6 degrees this morning and my garage is far from airtight and not heated by more than a propane heater. In thinking forward, what are my chances of coming up with a hard top for a CJ5? Are the tops different for older CJ5 vs Newer? I looked at the link converting a CJ7 hard top for CJ5 and due to my complete lack of artistic ability I don't see myself going that way. Although, my girlfriend is very detail oriented and crafty. Maybe if we work together we could do it? Gonna open up the used carb from Ebay this week, and make the best carb I can from the two. If it warms up I will tackle the key switch, I don't have the snap ring press thing but it seems to me I ought to have one!
Good luck to all my northern brethren in braving the cold to work on your Jeep, aqnd Happy Thanksgiving to all
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The biggest difference in hardtops over the years is the angle in the windshield. Later ones are angled back further than earlier ones.
There is a long post on acme tops here someplace and I think there was a top up for sale there also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Today I turned on the heat in the garage, tore down both carbs and rebuilt the best parts into a working carburetor. Got it put back on the turned it over for a couple of minutes and it fired right up! Got the mixture screw set and it runs real nice. Idles so quiet it kind of fools you into thinking the motor isn't running. Pulled the steering wheel. waiting for my new lock plate puller to come in tomorrow. Then I will put in the new switch and take a ride up and down the road with it! Yay!!!
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

11/19/13
I apologize for asking, but can anyone point me to the post where the guy cut up and modified a CJ7 hard top to fit a CJ5? Been searching the site for 20 minutes and can't find it - doh!
thanks a million
bill
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Allergic to battery fumes? That stuff will kill ya'!!!
Unread 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Throbbin Rods
1976 CJ5 

Wasn't quite that bad but every time I walked into the shop when it was cold and we were charging batteries, I broke out in hives from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet. No real estate was spared. It was painful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.