Threaded inserts in Frame gone bad... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Threaded inserts in Frame gone bad...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-11-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
TrappG

Threaded inserts in Frame gone bad...

I was pressure washing the underside of my CJ today. I went to drop the t-case shield/support when I realized that 2 (of the 6) bolts holding the thing up had problems. The threaded inserts (into the frame) had come loose and the threaded part was just turning up in the frame. I was able to get one bad bolt out but the other one was just turning. I'll have to grind the head off that one. What's the best idea in getting some threads back in the frame for the bolts? Easiest solution may be to just just grind a hole in the frame in order to get a nut in there. Ultimately the hole will need to be big enough to get a wrench or socket in. Anybody had this problem or have any ideas for me? Maybe weld hole shut, drill and tap???

GT

'04 Sahara - I6, 5spd bone-stock...
TrappG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
CSP

You really don't need all six bolts. Definitely don't weld the hole shut. The steel deposited by welding is next to impossible to drill through. Many people cut a slot in their frame to insert a new nut. Personally I like to drill a 1" hole with a bi-metal hole saw on the inside of the frame rail. Make it low enough that you can get an open end wrench on a new nut inside the frame. With a hole there are no points where a stress crack can develop. A good hole saw will go through the frame rail easily.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

Trapp,

I had this happen before. BEST thing to do is NOT to cut a hole in the sidewall of the frame to insert a nut. Buy a long drill bit, and drill thru the bottom holes, straight thru to the top of the frame rail, and then THRU-BOLT it. Your hardware store will have long high-strength bolts that will fit. AND, accessing the top of the frame rail is a piece of cake.

I don't know why this wasn't done in the first place from the factory. Damn engineers!! (I am one, too, but I tend to think with common-sense!)
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
CJMONEYPIT

I have had to do this twice now. The first time was one of the bolts holding the steering gear bracket to the frame. I just cut a hole in the side of the frame, exposing the nut. Soak it in PB blaster and get a wrench on it. It'll either screw off or break off. I welded new nuts to the inside of the frame and welded the frame piece back on. The second one was the rear spring hanger. For that one I cut the bolt off with a reciprocating saw. Once the bolt was out, and the spring out of the way, I cut out the section with the bolt hole from the bottom of the frame, welded a new nut to the inside of that piece and welded the piece back in. With the welds ground down and a couple of coats of paint, you can't even tell there was any work done. Both repairs have held up well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.