To those who commute in their jeep w/o a top - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > To those who commute in their jeep w/o a top

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasteeler View Post
Mine comes straight out back, bought a tip that points down from oreillys. Have u ever messed with carb to see if it's running to rich?? Mine was running really rich when I bought it and it had a very strong odor, adjusted fuel/air mix and is way better now. Just a thought.
I'm not very good with carbs, if you can describe how to do it i'll give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALOcruiser View Post
A tip to point it down will help. Mine exits on the same stock location with no problem. Sounds like you have a leak. Mine hasd one at the manifold. Smelled like I just mowed the yard when I got to work.

Do you hear a tapping sound from the engine that is rpm dependent? It will be most noticeable when taking off before road noise dominates.
I do have the same lawn mower smell when i drive it, it's pretty powerful. It actually sounds really good, no tapping noises, I can't rule out a leak, So I'll check for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
What's the problem?

My wife calls it, "Essence of CJ". She says she's kinda fond of it. I love that girl!!

Matt
My gf doesnt complain, she just wont ride in it haha

Dmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you got the 2 barrel Carter BBD?

The trick is to get the idle air mixture just right. You need to set this for both barrels together and hence turn the screws just the same, a little bit on each in turn.

If you look at the base of the carb on the side facing the radiator you will see two screws leaning up and and out. These are the idle mixture screws.

There is another adjustment screw on the end of the accelerator linkage that adjusts the idle speed.

I start off by making sure the ignition timing is spot on, the vacuum lines are intact and the engine is warm.

Adjust the idle speed so it is just about where it should be. About 850-900rpm.

Turn both mixture screws fully in then back out about 1 1/2 turns. Get them both exactly the same. Now turn them in and out 1/2 turn in tandem. When you turn them in and you hear the engine just start to die a little bit this is the point where you have leaned out the mixture enough.

Readjust the idle speed.

Sould only take 2 minutes to get it right.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Search for member on here "mike romain" he got alot of good posts on carbs.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

True duels that run right inside the shackles and end level with them so they are almost hidden by the bumper etc. No exhaust high issues

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj5branden View Post
my top is no more, it blew off on the freeway, what remained was tattered chunks
how much did you spend to clean your seat afterwords...because if it were me, I would have crapped all over myself.
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Have you got the 2 barrel Carter BBD?

The trick is to get the idle air mixture just right. You need to set this for both barrels together and hence turn the screws just the same, a little bit on each in turn.

If you look at the base of the carb on the side facing the radiator you will see two screws leaning up and and out. These are the idle mixture screws.

There is another adjustment screw on the end of the accelerator linkage that adjusts the idle speed.

I start off by making sure the ignition timing is spot on, the vacuum lines are intact and the engine is warm.

Adjust the idle speed so it is just about where it should be. About 850-900rpm.

Turn both mixture screws fully in then back out about 1 1/2 turns. Get them both exactly the same. Now turn them in and out 1/2 turn in tandem. When you turn them in and you hear the engine just start to die a little bit this is the point where you have leaned out the mixture enough.

Readjust the idle speed.

Sould only take 2 minutes to get it right.
I have the single barrel, I can't think of the name at the moment. would the process be the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
how much did you spend to clean your seat afterwords...because if it were me, I would have crapped all over myself.
The scary part was holding it with one hand and exiting the freeway with the other on the wheel,its pretty sketchy
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #22
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Everything except doing the two in tandem.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Everything except doing the two in tandem.
Thanks!
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #24
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

got it timed, that cut down the smell quite a bit. Kind of ran into a prob with my carb though. It's the carter YF single barrel, I turned the idle mixture in all the way then back out 1.5 turns, from there i kept turning it .5 at a time and stopped when the screw got a little wobbly so i stopped, prob is I can't really tell if it's set in a good spot or not
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
got it timed, that cut down the smell quite a bit. Kind of ran into a prob with my carb though. It's the carter YF single barrel, I turned the idle mixture in all the way then back out 1.5 turns, from there i kept turning it .5 at a time and stopped when the screw got a little wobbly so i stopped, prob is I can't really tell if it's set in a good spot or not
Do you have any leaks anywhere? It is basically just introducing some air around the butterfly to lean out the petrol which comes down the idle tube.

Common leak is around the shaft that the butterfly sits on, old age.

I would have suggested 1.5 turns OR LESS would be the right setting in a very old carb as air leaks in from elsewhere.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Do you have any leaks anywhere? It is basically just introducing some air around the butterfly to lean out the petrol which comes down the idle tube.

Common leak is around the shaft that the butterfly sits on, old age.

I would have suggested 1.5 turns OR LESS would be the right setting in a very old carb as air leaks in from elsewhere.
Well, this enters a very unknown area of the previous owner. he told me he rebuilt it recently (recently as of the year 2009) and it doesnt appear to have any leaks (nothing is wet when it runs) It also runs very strong and idles well. Maybe I'll turn it back in to 1.5 turns and see if I get any smoke.
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #27
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Well, this enters a very unknown area of the previous owner. he told me he rebuilt it recently (recently as of the year 2009) and it doesnt appear to have any leaks (nothing is wet when it runs) It also runs very strong and idles well. Maybe I'll turn it back in to 1.5 turns and see if I get any smoke.
if it leaks it is sucking in air around the edge of the shaft or maybe through the gasket at the base of the carb. If you spray WD40 or engine starter at these locations and it picks up you have an air leak.

I would also like to celebrate 1,001 posts

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #28
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
if it leaks it is sucking in air around the edge of the shaft or maybe through the gasket at the base of the carb. If you spray WD40 or engine starter at these locations and it picks up you have an air leak.

I would also like to celebrate 1,001 posts

1k+ posts on a non off topic styled forum is pretty impressive haha! congrats man!

I'll spray some WD on it tomorrow, hoping for no leaks. It doesnt run bad at all, it just has to pass emissions if I ever want to drive it on the road again, I just dont want to spend the money on the test and have no chance due to out of spec timing and stuff. I figure, if it passes emissions, then its running well enough to get the exhaust re routed and it's time to go wheeling again!
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #29
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Your engine should have stumbled and or stalled when you got the idle mixture screw out of the sweet spot.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #30
Dmonkey
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Your engine should have stumbled and or stalled when you got the idle mixture screw out of the sweet spot.
hmm, I think i'm going to redo the procedure, does it get super smooth when its in the sweet spot?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.