To those who commute in their jeep w/o a top - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasteeler View Post
Mine comes straight out back, bought a tip that points down from oreillys. Have u ever messed with carb to see if it's running to rich?? Mine was running really rich when I bought it and it had a very strong odor, adjusted fuel/air mix and is way better now. Just a thought.
I'm not very good with carbs, if you can describe how to do it i'll give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALOcruiser View Post
A tip to point it down will help. Mine exits on the same stock location with no problem. Sounds like you have a leak. Mine hasd one at the manifold. Smelled like I just mowed the yard when I got to work.

Do you hear a tapping sound from the engine that is rpm dependent? It will be most noticeable when taking off before road noise dominates.
I do have the same lawn mower smell when i drive it, it's pretty powerful. It actually sounds really good, no tapping noises, I can't rule out a leak, So I'll check for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
What's the problem?

My wife calls it, "Essence of CJ". She says she's kinda fond of it. I love that girl!!

Matt
My gf doesnt complain, she just wont ride in it haha

Dmonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM
BagusJeep
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 5,244
Have you got the 2 barrel Carter BBD?

The trick is to get the idle air mixture just right. You need to set this for both barrels together and hence turn the screws just the same, a little bit on each in turn.

If you look at the base of the carb on the side facing the radiator you will see two screws leaning up and and out. These are the idle mixture screws.

There is another adjustment screw on the end of the accelerator linkage that adjusts the idle speed.

I start off by making sure the ignition timing is spot on, the vacuum lines are intact and the engine is warm.

Adjust the idle speed so it is just about where it should be. About 850-900rpm.

Turn both mixture screws fully in then back out about 1 1/2 turns. Get them both exactly the same. Now turn them in and out 1/2 turn in tandem. When you turn them in and you hear the engine just start to die a little bit this is the point where you have leaned out the mixture enough.

Readjust the idle speed.

Sould only take 2 minutes to get it right.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
bamasteeler
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: alabama
Posts: 707
Search for member on here "mike romain" he got alot of good posts on carbs.

1980 Jeep CJ7
AMC 258, T176, D300,
AMC 20 REAR, D30 FRONT

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
79jeepincj7
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Burlington
Posts: 935
True duels that run right inside the shackles and end level with them so they are almost hidden by the bumper etc. No exhaust high issues

Wheel - Wreck - Wrench - Repeat!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
stamp32
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj5branden View Post
my top is no more, it blew off on the freeway, what remained was tattered chunks
how much did you spend to clean your seat afterwords...because if it were me, I would have crapped all over myself.
stamp32 is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Have you got the 2 barrel Carter BBD?

The trick is to get the idle air mixture just right. You need to set this for both barrels together and hence turn the screws just the same, a little bit on each in turn.

If you look at the base of the carb on the side facing the radiator you will see two screws leaning up and and out. These are the idle mixture screws.

There is another adjustment screw on the end of the accelerator linkage that adjusts the idle speed.

I start off by making sure the ignition timing is spot on, the vacuum lines are intact and the engine is warm.

Adjust the idle speed so it is just about where it should be. About 850-900rpm.

Turn both mixture screws fully in then back out about 1 1/2 turns. Get them both exactly the same. Now turn them in and out 1/2 turn in tandem. When you turn them in and you hear the engine just start to die a little bit this is the point where you have leaned out the mixture enough.

Readjust the idle speed.

Sould only take 2 minutes to get it right.
I have the single barrel, I can't think of the name at the moment. would the process be the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp32 View Post
how much did you spend to clean your seat afterwords...because if it were me, I would have crapped all over myself.
The scary part was holding it with one hand and exiting the freeway with the other on the wheel,its pretty sketchy
Dmonkey is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM
BagusJeep
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 5,244
Everything except doing the two in tandem.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Everything except doing the two in tandem.
Thanks!
Dmonkey is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
got it timed, that cut down the smell quite a bit. Kind of ran into a prob with my carb though. It's the carter YF single barrel, I turned the idle mixture in all the way then back out 1.5 turns, from there i kept turning it .5 at a time and stopped when the screw got a little wobbly so i stopped, prob is I can't really tell if it's set in a good spot or not
Dmonkey is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 AM
BagusJeep
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj5branden View Post
got it timed, that cut down the smell quite a bit. Kind of ran into a prob with my carb though. It's the carter YF single barrel, I turned the idle mixture in all the way then back out 1.5 turns, from there i kept turning it .5 at a time and stopped when the screw got a little wobbly so i stopped, prob is I can't really tell if it's set in a good spot or not
Do you have any leaks anywhere? It is basically just introducing some air around the butterfly to lean out the petrol which comes down the idle tube.

Common leak is around the shaft that the butterfly sits on, old age.

I would have suggested 1.5 turns OR LESS would be the right setting in a very old carb as air leaks in from elsewhere.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Do you have any leaks anywhere? It is basically just introducing some air around the butterfly to lean out the petrol which comes down the idle tube.

Common leak is around the shaft that the butterfly sits on, old age.

I would have suggested 1.5 turns OR LESS would be the right setting in a very old carb as air leaks in from elsewhere.
Well, this enters a very unknown area of the previous owner. he told me he rebuilt it recently (recently as of the year 2009) and it doesnt appear to have any leaks (nothing is wet when it runs) It also runs very strong and idles well. Maybe I'll turn it back in to 1.5 turns and see if I get any smoke.
Dmonkey is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 AM
BagusJeep
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj5branden View Post
Well, this enters a very unknown area of the previous owner. he told me he rebuilt it recently (recently as of the year 2009) and it doesnt appear to have any leaks (nothing is wet when it runs) It also runs very strong and idles well. Maybe I'll turn it back in to 1.5 turns and see if I get any smoke.
if it leaks it is sucking in air around the edge of the shaft or maybe through the gasket at the base of the carb. If you spray WD40 or engine starter at these locations and it picks up you have an air leak.

I would also like to celebrate 1,001 posts

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
if it leaks it is sucking in air around the edge of the shaft or maybe through the gasket at the base of the carb. If you spray WD40 or engine starter at these locations and it picks up you have an air leak.

I would also like to celebrate 1,001 posts

1k+ posts on a non off topic styled forum is pretty impressive haha! congrats man!

I'll spray some WD on it tomorrow, hoping for no leaks. It doesnt run bad at all, it just has to pass emissions if I ever want to drive it on the road again, I just dont want to spend the money on the test and have no chance due to out of spec timing and stuff. I figure, if it passes emissions, then its running well enough to get the exhaust re routed and it's time to go wheeling again!
Dmonkey is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler
 
86cj74.2L's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stouchsburg, PA
Posts: 9,701
Your engine should have stumbled and or stalled when you got the idle mixture screw out of the sweet spot.
86cj74.2L is online now  
post #30 of 30 Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Dmonkey
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turlock
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Your engine should have stumbled and or stalled when you got the idle mixture screw out of the sweet spot.
hmm, I think i'm going to redo the procedure, does it get super smooth when its in the sweet spot?
Dmonkey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
1966 jeep cj5 with all caps used for Jeep logo on side of tub Nonstopmomma Jeep CJ Forum 7 09-02-2010 11:59 AM
Question on what my jeep is worth for you jeep guys JEEPINWA Jeep CJ Forum 6 08-26-2010 05:53 PM
Another Jeep Newbie, wanting to introduce myself, and my jeep.(With a shock question) JeepPride Jeep CJ Forum 7 03-11-2010 03:11 PM
Jeep Turning Radius (Jeep Turns To The LEFT Great, Not So Much To The RIGHT) Military Jeeper Jeep CJ Forum 8 02-27-2008 10:08 AM
1980 Jeep CJ7 Fuel Problems HELP -> Jeep Won't Start SomerJeep Jeep CJ Forum 15 03-23-2005 08:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome