Thinking of swapping in a T-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thinking of swapping in a T-5

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

Thinking of swapping in a T-5

Hi guys. The synchros are getting bad in my 4 speed tranny.Not sure which 4-speed it is all I know for sure is I have the Dana 300 transfer case which I believe narrows the field a little. Also the clutch set needs replaced. I can pick up a T-5 in good condition for $350 and hopefully a little cheaper once i get face to face and talk to the guy. What I am wondering is would this be a pretty much direct swap? or would i end up with a laundry list of other stuff i would have to change?

For instance the clutch linkage,skid pan and of course the Trans mount. Or anything anybody knows of that would make this a non-direct swap. I dont have A whole lot of money I can spend besides the cost of the tranny and a new clutch kit for it. I am intending to put the new clutch in before i mount the tranny.If this is going to be more parts and more trouble than its worth then I will look at finding a different tranny that would bolt right up or check some pricing on repairs for my current 4 speed.

I would really like to have the 5 speed for hopefully better fuel mileage but I need to be as cost conscious as I can either way i go.Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you fellas may have. The skinny on my cj is...1981 with the 258 and the affore mentioned 4-speed. everything is stock on my 7 mechanically no major mods as of yet.

chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

The T5 WILL be the weak link in your drivetrain (unless you have 2 piece axles still), if you plan on tires 31" or less and only occasional trail use go for it. I have one and it does well. $350 is steep, even in good used condition I would budget about $350 for a rebuild kit. $350 is stupid for one with a worn out input bearing, trashed synchros and shift pads and thrust issues. if the input shaft wiggles even a little offer $100 and tell the seller you are considering it as a core for a rebuild. Good luck!
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
JWMII
1978 CJ7 

T5 swap

How do you know the T5 is any better? Why don't you just fix your 4 speed? It is a better transmission. Jack.
JWMII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

If your shifter handle is straight, you have a T176 and would need to fix it or find another. If you have a curved handle, it could be a T-4 or an SR4 and both will swap out to the T-5 with no additional parts or mods. I would only go with the T-5 IF you axle gearing is correct for the tire size. If you running large tires with factory gears, then the extra stress on the transmission would be too much in the long run. If matched correctly, the T-5 can be a good choice. I have been running them for twenty years in some of my CJs. The 5th gear may or may not be a gas saving deal. Once again, gearing for the tire size. I got better MPH with a 4 speed (1to1 4th) with 272 and stock tires than with a 5 speed pulling too low of rpm for the load in 5th. With lower gears and the right sized tire, the first and second gears are lower and the over drive is just right for the higher interstate speeds.....it needs to match.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.