Thinking of doing the 4.0L HO Engine Change on my CJ7, Good? Pro / Cons? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thinking of doing the 4.0L HO Engine Change on my CJ7, Good? Pro / Cons?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post
Sarge, you mentioned living in Tx. Where at? I like your plan for the stroked 4.0. I considered it with mine, but needed to get it back on the road and I knew the bottom end of the 258 was solid and sound, so I let that dog lie.

I am no expert on the efi by any stretch, but if you get into it and have questions, give me a shout. I took the wiring diagram and Pinout diagram for the donor harness and removed everything that I couldn't use for my jeep. Cherokees have lots more systems than cjs. But I did gain several relay circuits in the PDC. And the harness became much lighter quick.

Largest word of caution...I cobbled mine together from parts that I bought cheap from several sources, such as a complete siezed 4.0 motor from a 2001. That yielded a very desirable intake design. However, the throttle body was different from the 93 Engine harness, so it was swapped for a 93. Many of the sensors from 92-2001 look the same on the business end, but the plugs changed quite a bit. I still have a box full of sensors that were either from the 01 motor or picked at the junkyard. Take home message, get on Craigslist and buy a wrecked and running jeep w a 4.0 and strip it. Part it out or else roll it across the scales for $11/cwt.
I don't actually live in TX, but my in-laws do, up in Allen. My CJ is patiently awaiting my return from Okinawa in Alpine, TX courtesy of BioTex (another JF member). Take a look at the CJ Express thread in my sig to see how it ended up there!

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

I hope it's okay to tag along with an existing thread. I've got a 1980 CJ5 with the low compression version of the 258 (with a single barrel carb). I don't know if it was a special order or what, but the VIN confirms the odd engine code (B). I could pick up a Jeep Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L HO engine for $200. I'd be able to take anything from the Cherokee that I want. From the earlier posts it sounds like I could swap the entire motor or just the head and manifolds if I wanted. I assume that for $200 I've got a great deal in front of me, the catch it I don't have a lot of time to do research before deciding. I need to pull the trigger on buying the junk Laredo quickly.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.