Thinking of cutting a tailgate into my fiberglass tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thinking of cutting a tailgate into my fiberglass tub

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

Thinking of cutting a tailgate into my fiberglass tub

My fiberglass tub doesnt have a tailgate but i sure wish i had one. Been thinking of buying a fiberglass replacement tailgate and cutting my tub to fit one. Has anyone ever tried this? My big concern would be if im ruining the structural integrity of the tub. Some manufacturers offer tub with them cut out already but kinda wondered if they were reinforced differently. Another idea was to only cut a half height size tailgate leaving 6" or so of tub back across the back above the floor height. Thoughts on any of this is appreciated.

Unread 01-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Have you considered that your tub is probably double-walled and not solid back there, and if you cut you will have need to finish the opening with some glass work?

I just glassed up the tailgate opening that my PO had cut. He had done it very crudely. There is wood sandwiched in many areas of the tub, especially around the tailgate area. That wood completely rotted out because he didn't do a good job of finishing the glass.

In my opinion, closing up the back of my tub did not add structural integrity. I'm sure it does add strength, but my tub did not seem to flex abnormally with just a hole back there.

If you had the motivation to check our build thread, start looking around the pages that are in the middle to the end, I have some prety good pics of what you can expect to see once you make the cuts. It could be a good resource for your mod.

Clay's Build Thread

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
nick5446

I'm tempted to do this too. Reinforcing the interior with steel plates would probably be sufficient, as well as sealing the cuts. If you get to it before I do, post some pics!
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

If i do it I'll do a coat of carbon fiber on interior side of back of tub and the cut area. i work with carbon fiber for work occasionally and got me some scrap on hand. im gonna bedline the interior when it warms up so it'd never be seen. still just trying to get a complete game plan before i decide if im actually gonna do it . if i do there will be plenty of pics.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.