Thinking of buying this cj7 - would appreciate opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thinking of buying this cj7 - would appreciate opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Thinking of buying this cj7 - would appreciate opinions

Hey guys, just like the title says. I'd like to sell my 4.2 and get a v8.

If you could take a look at the link and let me know you I initial thoughts it would be appreciated. Basically just photos. I'm not to concerned with it not looking original. Just want a beefy cj that looks clean

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...7_196867571_10

Also curious what your thoughts are on the price?

Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
larock
1983 CJ7 

So much more to know, what tops does it come with, and rebuilds, axles, transfercase? The fact that all he says is big tires and headers would make me somewhat cautious as to whether or not he added these and knows what he was doing, or payed someone due to what seems to be a very inflated price where he is simply trying to get money back out of his spendings. Just my 2 cents good luck
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Very inflated price by how much? Hundreds or thousands.

No tops or doors.
Won't know about rebuilds because this was a trade in.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

too expensive.. lots of really nice CJ's for less
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

with no top or doors and VA i wouldn't pay that much. Gonna be a cold winter in that thing
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
b-dog
1985 CJ7 

no top is definatly a negative but over all you would have a lot more money in it if you bought a beater and fixed it up. like some said its hard to see the details, a close inspection could show a lot of things. . also most of us on here like the fix up our self part. you also know what you have if you do the work yourself
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
larock
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall
Very inflated price by how much? Hundreds or thousands.

No tops or doors.
Won't know about rebuilds because this was a trade in.
I personally from virginia wouldn't go above 6, depending on what all is in it.
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Hope your real good with a wrench
NO '83 CJ-7 came with an '8'. What engine is in it? Looks like a SBC??? What tranny?
Hope it don't have the stock rear '20' diff. That '8' will kill it, PDQ.
WAY over priced!
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

Looks to me like there was a lot of love applied to that jeep. New tires, new interior, fresh paint, engine bay and the underside look clean.

As said above, I'd pay attention to the engine and drive train to make one doesn't overwhelm the other.

A replacement top will be pricey, depending on your needs that may or may not be a problem. And depending on your skills, a DIY project may not be what you are looking for. I'd say the 9k price is a little high, but the dealers always start out that way. I'd guess it's worth 7-8k realistically - your market may vary.
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Too much money. Also, LG is right; it came from the factory with a 258 I-6.
IF the auto transmission is the original, (this Jeep was built with one) it's a weak link behind that engine. That engine looks like an SBC.
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I have some drive tran questions to ask.

Not sure where you would buy a clean finished cj for 6k...but if you find one let me know.
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #12
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's a lot of money, but someone has done a lot of work on it. If you like it, buy it. You can find hard tops and doors around. PM me if you buy it, I'm in Charlottesville, Va.

Many on this board are rock crawlers and want their rigs for this type of driving. This looks like a City vehicle with occasional trail riding. If you can afford it and are happy with the modifications, go for it.
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Thanks guys. I have some drive tran questions to ask.

Not sure where you would buy a clean finished cj for 6k...but if you find one let me know.
Well, you asked for opinions and you got 'em.

Personally, even if it was $6K, the guy in the plaid sport coat that says "headers & big tires" doesn't know squat about the vehicle. I wouldn't buy a kiddie car from a used dealer...and hence the $89XX asking price.

Go find one that someone with a CJ that put work into and needs to sell. Look the seller (who did the work) in the eye and ask questions.....get answers. Be patient and wait for the right one.....and yeah, I do see nice CJs for $6K...

And oh yeah, don't buy something and run to the board looking for affirmation. I'm on boat boards, diesel boards, car & truck boards....see it ALL the time.....DID I GET A GOOD DEAL? Just sayin'.....
Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
paveland
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a clean jeep to me, previous owner definitely sunk some cash into it.

For me I would look at that Chevy v8. Make sure the swap was some correctly. Good engine mounts, exhaust, and good drive line angles.

If it looks good and you like it, try and haggle the price down.
paveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
Not sure where you would buy a clean finished cj for 6k ... but if you find one let me know.
I bought an 85 Laredo in pristine original condition (except for paint fade). All original, from the second owner (who had it for twenty plus years), with all factory Laredo amenities. No butchered wires or hacked mods. With it's hard top/doors, a new soft top, and a bikini top. The door key fits the glove box lock, the center console, and the rear hatch. Automatic, factory/dealer A/C, cruise control. I paid $4,000.00.
It takes patience. I bought it when I already had a pretty good 83 Laredo which I also bought for $4,000.00. I sold that one later for $4,500.00.

What's with that robot voice in the video ad, .
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.