Thinking about buying a CJ got some questions.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thinking about buying a CJ got some questions..

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
durdenclub

Thinking about buying a CJ got some questions..

I am thinking about buying a CJ.

-How much should I expect to pay for a "good" condition CJ?

-What all is needed if I were to put a chevy 350 in the CJ
(ie..tranny stuff...ect.)?

-what are things to look for when buying (good and bad)?

- What is the best engine to look for in a cj when buying?

I am looking at 77 and up..thanks for your help.

durdenclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

- For one in good condition, expect to pay around $4500 +/-.

- Don't know.

- Make sure there is no rust, rust is the biggest enemy of a CJ. Also, if you can, get the elusive 1986 CJ7 - it is mucho better than the rest of the years.

- The best engine of the bunch could possibly be the 258. Perhaps I am biased because my 258 works great with no snags, but I think that it is a pretty solid motor to be from 1983.

Anyway, I hope you get what you are wanting, and don't be afraid to ask questions here - these people know their stuff. Always try to talk down prices on CJs because you will need all the extra money you can get to modify it!

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
dlinzy

86 Cj7 ???

What makes the 86 so desirable?

Denny
dlinzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Widetrac axle width, possible Dana 44 rear axle, Dana 300 transfer case... plus, it's the newest of the CJs so it possibly suffers from less age-related-problems. Even so, remember that any CJ you look at will be close to 20 years old or older so expect some wear and tear (unless owner did a complete resto $$$). Heck, half the fun of owning a CJ is working on it and modifying it. Make friends with a CJ owner (we're all friendly) and maybe check out the nearest Jeep club. Might even be able to coax a club member or two into looking at a prospective purchase to help you out with an objective third eye.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
durdenclub

Thanks for your help. Anyone know about putting a 350 in one of these and what it takes?
Unread 07-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Do a Google search for the 350 swap, many people have documented it. Also, Advanced Adapters is one of the leaders in providing conversion parts for a 350 swap. Novak also has a bunch of info as well.

You will need a bunch of adapters or a new tranny, and in that case, a tranny to transfercase adapter. Aside from motor mounts, you will likely need to move your transfer case and change driveshaft length.

Most late model CJ trannies are not up to 350 power, and the AMC 20 rear end will need some beefing up also.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

By the way, I have an '86, but no Dana 44 rear. I think the best CJ drivetrain is the 304 V-8 and T-18 tranny. But good luck finding one of those.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
durdenclub

Is the 304 combo decently powerfull/fast? How common are they, can they be found easily at junk yards? Do they bolt right into any CJ or do I have to have the right engine/tranny/trans case combo? In other words with the 304 bolt onto any other tranny and trans case?
Unread 07-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
SamFromCO

For the 350 swap you'll need all of the stuff that CJeep mentioned. I'll mention a few more things.
You will need a new radiator and a wiring harness. Because the transfer case will probably be moved either forward or more likely backward you will need to have your driveshaft lengths altered. If you move the t-case very far towards the rear and/or want to do much of a lift then you will probably want to replace the rear driveshaft with a CV type shaft.
The 350 does make a great Jeep motor, much better than a 304 or 360 IMHO. If I had the bucks, I would definitely go for it. Here's a pic of my buddys 350 MPI in a '93 YJ:
Unread 07-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durdenclub
Is the 304 combo decently powerfull/fast? How common are they, can they be found easily at junk yards? Do they bolt right into any CJ or do I have to have the right engine/tranny/trans case combo? In other words with the 304 bolt onto any other tranny and trans case?

The 258 I-6 is "decently powerful" with lots of low-end torque for its size. Sure, any V-8 will have more "power". And as for "fast" you'd have to be insane to want to go fast in a jeep. They're made for climbing over hills and through holes, not drag racing. Now, that being said, I've considered doing the 350 swap myself, and I still might someday when I have the time and money. Right now the CJ is my lone form of transportation, so I'll keep her in one piece for the time being. Good luck with whatever jeep you get.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
durdenclub

thanks for your replies, can someone tell me more about which engines go to which trannys, stuff like that. Thanks
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #11
GADJIT98

Quote:
thanks for your replies, can someone tell me more about which engines go to which trannys, stuff like that. Thanks

Durdenclub,,

Tell us why you are wanting a 350..... There may be a MUCH cheaper alternative to meeting your wishes. For example, everyone that sees my CJ7 thinks I have a v8......sounds like one, pulls like one.....Hey, the secret is never actually "showing" them under the hood The 258 is a great motor and will accomidate several trannys...the T176 is the best bang for the buck and is usually a direct bolt in once you find the correct parts and a Dana 300 t-case. I have done this swap so let me know if you need any info. Basically all you need for V8 sound and great torque is a good weber carb, good headers, and one or two flowmasters....plus it will save you a couple of grand doing the swap. Welcome to the Jeep world!

J--Just
E--Empty
E--Every
P--Pocket

Dave
83 CJ7 258, T-176, d300, Heddman Headers, Weber 32/36, 3" lift, HEI ignition, Power Brake upgrade, 33x12.5's, 3:31 gears w/ one piece axles.
GADJIT98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #12
durdenclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADJIT98
Durdenclub,,

Tell us why you are wanting a 350..... There may be a MUCH cheaper alternative to meeting your wishes. For example, everyone that sees my CJ7 thinks I have a v8......sounds like one, pulls like one.....Hey, the secret is never actually "showing" them under the hood The 258 is a great motor and will accomidate several trannys...the T176 is the best bang for the buck and is usually a direct bolt in once you find the correct parts and a Dana 300 t-case. I have done this swap so let me know if you need any info. Basically all you need for V8 sound and great torque is a good weber carb, good headers, and one or two flowmasters....plus it will save you a couple of grand doing the swap. Welcome to the Jeep world!

J--Just
E--Empty
E--Every
P--Pocket

Dave

Well thats a good thing to know, how much are the dana 300 trans cases generally>? and How about the t176?
Unread 07-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #13
GADJIT98

Quote:
Well thats a good thing to know, how much are the dana 300 trans cases generally>? and How about the t176?

You can generally find a decent Dana300 for less than $300 on EBay. T176 trannys are a bit expensive especially when the are freshly rebuilt, I paid $800 for a newly rebuilt one but I now have a source that will do it for about 6-700. You could always buy used and take your chances for less that 400.

I just did a search for them and there are a couple of dana 300 t-cases for cheap, right now there are no t-176's out there

Hope this helps

Dave
83 CJ7 258, T-176, d300, Heddman Headers, Weber 32/36, 3" lift, HEI ignition, Power Brake upgrade, 33x12.5's, 3:31 gears w/ one piece axles.
Unread 07-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #14
durdenclub

can those trannys be rebuild by someone like my self who has a fair amount of knowledge of rebuilding transmissions?
Unread 07-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #15
GADJIT98

Quote:
can those trannys be rebuild by someone like my self who has a fair amount of knowledge of rebuilding transmissions?

Shouldnt be a problem, just make sure you get a manual. I prefer to have them built by a pro since they offer a warranty.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.