Which of these gaskets do I use for intake/ header? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which of these gaskets do I use for intake/ header?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Which of these gaskets do I use for intake/ header?

I have an Offenhauser intake and Hedman header installed on my 258 which I need to remove and reinstall to seal up some vacuum leaks.

I ordered a replacement gasket from Hedman, which isn't much to write home about - some kind of pressed cardboard, that seals the intake and exhaust ports.

Hedman

Just in case, I also ordered a gasket kit from FelPro.
The kit had a similar designed gasket, but laminated with a metal facing.
It also had a separate, rubber gasket to seal the intake ports. As well as a couple others

Felpro

So my question is, what gasket(s) do I use??
Sealant/ no sealant? If so which sealant? And where?

Thanks in advance!

2X

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I used both on mine but I don't have a header.

I probably just could of used the intake gasket with the stock exhaust manifold but since you have headers I would use both.

I just use HD axle grease, makes cleaning them off easier later but I'm guessing the header flanges may not be as flat as a machined exhaust manifold.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I would go with Felpro since I never had a problem with them.
The cardboard style I have had problems with since they are thinner and I have had them burn through with the heat.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I am definitely going to go with the Fel-Pro laminated gasket.
But what about the rubber intake gasket?

I think I have to call their tech Support regarding installation.
One of Fel-Pro's technical documents states:

"....one side is a fiber material and the other side is steel.
Just remember to install the steel side toward the manifold and the fiber side toward the engine block. This allows the exhaust manifold to slide along the steel surface during expansion and contraction without damaging the gasket."

There is no mention of sealant, which I think would eliminate this 'movement'.
I would think a rubber gasket between the intake manifold and exhaust gasket would hinder any 'movement' as well.

Thoughts?
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The intent of the seperate intake gasket is so the clamping surfaces are flat across. In some cases like John mentioned without using the intake gasket its spaced closer to the head then the exhaust where the cupped washers clamp against the manifolds. In which case the intake never gets the same clamping torque the exhaust gets.

You may need to try mounting with and without it to see how it works for you and your combination of manifolds.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think the Fel-pro gaskets are designed to be installed dry, but I don't think a little copper spray would hurt, just to help keep everything in place while you bolt it up.

Getterdone.....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I think I am going to go with the Fel-Prolaminated gasket AND the blue rubber intake gasket.

One question though...
I was never happy with the workmanship of the Hedman header.

What do you guys think about this?
Should I grind it down?

Thanks in advance

2X
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Eh, it might help sealing with the raised lip like that as long as it's torqued properly.

How would you guarantee your grinding will make it flat??
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Fel-Pro's tech support claims their gasket is used to accommodate lack flatness found when using headers (to a point).

As you know there was no gasket from the factory as all surfaces were machined flat.

So U was thinking 'relatively' flat might be worth a try.

But I see your point with the extra material helping with clamping pressure....
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have the same header on the same engine, and I used the same Fel-Pro gasket set. No sealant. Clamp your headers in a vice. Use a long metal file and file across two of the header inlets at a time. Go slow and keep the file flat. I don't know what you call it, but there is a HUGE file board made to cover all of the inlets at once. Don't know if you can get your hands on one of those. My neighbor has one, so I got lucky. I have no issues with exhaust leaks.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

To be honest, intake leaks are my biggest problem.

When I took them off, both had black RTV on them. I don't know if that helped or hindered anything.

I also noticed one of the mounting locations on the bottom of the Offenhouser, directly under the carb looked pretty boogered up. Might have to build that up with something for better clamping.

Maybe not, though. The blue gasket may help with that.

Just thinking out loud, here...
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It wouldn't hurt to file across the intake runners as well. Same process. You will be able to see the uneven surfaces pretty quickly by the shiny metal. You won't have to do near as much on the aluminum. Just go slow and be deliberate, and you HAVE to go across two or more runners at a time to keep it even between the runners.

Personally, I don't like sealants on the manifold sealing surfaces. Flat mating surfaces, a good gasket, and proper torquing should take care of any issues. My aftermarket Clifford intake does not seal the same as my stock intake. It is much more difficult to eliminate vacuum leaks. A primary cause is that the Belville washers do not sit flat on the runner ears.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
...A primary cause is that the Belville washers do not sit flat on the runner ears.
Same with the Offy. So much so that I had to invert a couple of them to better catch the contact points....
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Same with the Offy. So much so that I had to invert a couple of them to better catch the contact points....
An option there is to carefully grind down the ears so they are even with the exhaust, and you might have to flatten one side of the washer. I was a little concerned about doing that. I'm no engineer, but it is my understanding that a belville washer is designed as a cup to enhance the torque. Turning it over will cause you to lose any gains in a belville washer. I tried using the proper diameter hardened, thickened washers in place of the belvilles, but, ironically, they started to snap in half. So I reinstalled my factory intake. Good to go.

Unread 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
An option there is to carefully grind down the ears so they are even with the exhaust, and you might have to flatten one side of the washer. I was a little concerned about doing that. I'm no engineer, but it is my understanding that a belville washer is designed as a cup to enhance the torque. Turning it over will cause you to lose any gains in a belville washer. I tried using the proper diameter hardened, thickened washers in place of the belvilles, but, ironically, they started to snap in half. So I reinstalled my factory intake. Good to go.
Good point!

I have to admit, that when I first started modifications on the jeep i was a bit naive and assumed thing would just bolt on.

Needless to say, I have since learned that is not the case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.