Thermostat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Thermostat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialties

Unread 07-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Rebel1970
1983 CJ7 

Thermostat

What is the best thermostat to run? A 195, 180, or a 160? No thermostat at all. And yes I realize that a thermostat is needed in the winer. I am talking a good all around thermostat for all seasons.

Rebel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
tripmaker

I use a 180.

Tripmaker

trip maker
tripmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:03 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The proper one for a 258 is a 195. The engines run best warmed up, same goes for internal heat.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:07 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

195, that's what it came with and is designed to use.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #5
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

I'm a 180 fan, unless it gets pretty cold in the winter. Today's fuel vaporizes better than the stuff back in the 70s and 80s so you don't have to run the engine as hot to get there. 195s are just fine too but that's as hot as I'll ever go.

Shawn
Unread Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

195° is what's called for. Even in the summer here in Arizona.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #7
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I have always used a 180 degree stat. On long highway drives in the summer here in the high country of Colorado, I have noticed that the temp usually creeps up to about 192. I assume the 258 inline six's thermo-dynamic characteristics were designed to operate at this temp.
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #8
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Years ago when I used to tow with my Jeep, I'd run a 160f. The idea being that it would start to overheat when towing up a steep hill, but settle back down to 160 otherwise. That extra 25 degrees was to give you some extra time before the temp reached the danger zone.

Thats the idea anyway. Not sure if it really worked that way. Nowadays, just run the 195f but I don't tow with the Jeep. Its scary enough as it is!
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #9
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

Hey Reb,
I run a 180 myself but hey... it's Florida. Like Mr. Lovecraft said, I like that extra time before it reaches the "danger zone". BTW, my temp gauge never gets much off the peg.
captkhaos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #10
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

if your cooling system works properly then it doesn't matter what temp you use, and since the engine was designed to run at 195, that should be your choice.
ECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #11
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
if your cooling system works properly then it doesn't matter what temp you use, and since the engine was designed to run at 195, that should be your choice.
That was dictated by the fuel, emissions requirements and knowledge of the day.

Shawn
Unread Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #12
rons75
1975 CJ5 

Almost all engines require a 195* now a days, not only for fuel but to let the engine oil do its job properly
rons75 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #13
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

Our Mercedes SUV runs at 82*C which is ~180*F. I'd think the Germans know a thing or two about cars.

A 195 is a good, all-around temp but there's more to life than a 30 year old FSM and things have changed. I ran a high-flow, 180* with no intake heat in the Las Vegas summer. Power was up (not a lot but definitely noticeable) with no downside.

To each his own

Shawn
Unread Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #14
Rebel1970
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the input, 195 it is.
Rebel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.