Is there a trick to removing the dash indicator lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is there a trick to removing the dash indicator lights

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Is there a trick to removing the dash indicator lights

Only one is working. Is there a trick to removing them without removing the dash or climbing under?

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
spward

1985 CJ7 

There are little tabs on the top, bottom and sides so they click into the cut outs. I managed to break almost of mine, but used a small flathead on the back side to press them in so they could be angled out.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

If you mean the direction indicators in the instrument cluster then you can reach under the dash and pull the bulb holder and swap the bulb by feel. There are about 8 to 10 bulbs in the cluster so make sure you get the right one.

It is much easier with your head under the dash and much more difficult if you have AC fitted to the bottom of the panel.

The cluster is fairly easy to remove, 4 butterfly nuts at the corners and it will drop backwards and down.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

next to the heater controls.

The ones I'm referring to are the rectangular lighted ones that are next to the heater controls.
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

They have tabs on them and you have squeeze and push them out. I don't have any pics on my phone sure someone will post some.
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

If you can get your thumb and forefinger wrapped around them, just squeeze them a little while wiggling them out. If they are originals, caution must be taken as the plastic housing may have become brittle and you risk cracking them while removing them.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.