Is there fuses in the 1970 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is there fuses in the 1970 cj5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Crazy88

Is there fuses in the 1970 cj5

I am having a problem locating the fuses. Is there even fuses in it? Thanks

Crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
kbtriumph

There should be a couple of inline fuses but no fuse block. I would recommend putting a new harness in from a place like EZ Wiring, the stock harnesses in old Jeeps really suck.

Good luck.
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
earlycj5

I've got stock wiring diagrams here:
http://earlycj5.com/tech/electrical/index.php

HTH!
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

I highly recommend the EZ 12 circuit kit, a GM 10SI internally regulated alternator, and headlight relays.
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

There is also a circuit breaker mounted to the headlight switch. The wiring in these is fairly simple and an enterprising owner can build a new one out of a donor loom. I used an early Bronco loom and it was a snap, although I would recommend a loom with the spade style fuses instead of the glass ones.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with your wiring harness, I'd leave it alone.
Get a wiring diagram so you know were everything comes through the fire wall, and graft on in the engine bay if the engine and light wiring harnesses are shot.

(I have a '73, and the under dash wiring was fine, the engine harness was SHOT! So was the rear lights, but the front light harness works fine...)

If you decide to rewire the thing, I'd build the harness yourself...
Much cheaper and easier to do than you think, and if you need help I'll help you out with diagrams and part numbers for the build.
The early CJ harness is REALLY EASY! No sense in throwing money at Pain in the a$$ for something you can get locally and do yourself...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
earlycj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
The early CJ harness is REALLY EASY! No sense in throwing money at Pain in the a$$ for something you can get locally and do yourself...
I disagree, I'm pleased with the $ I spent on the EZ Wire 12. Everything is labeled as to what it is every few inches. With that and a built in fuse block it was worth it to me. It certainly wasn't a Pain in the a$$ as you suggest, quite the opposite and I'd guess easier than building your own since everything is labeled.

I'm not against building your own harness, but I am against over generalizing that a prefab wiring harness isn't worth it.

YMMV.
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
famicom21

i had a couple rolls of wire, a small 3 fuse fuse block, and some connectors, and i rewired my entire cj5 in an afternoon, for about 10 bucks probably.
you an find a wire diagram on the internet - there are several different resolutions i found.

if you have a few hours, a meter, and want to save money, do it yourself.

i also added a custom touch with a push start ignition (becaus the key wouldnt start the engine, it only worked for on /off) and i put in quick disconnects so i coudl isolate problems easily if i ever need to.
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

OP, There are few if any fuses in the early CJ's.
You will find a couple of breakers on the lip just under the dash where you left shin rides, and there may be one or two inline fuses in the system here or there, but no fuse block like modern vehicles have.
You should also find a fusible link (Fuse wire) or two on the starter solenoid to protect the system as a whole...

The topic of rewire.
Unless the factory wiring is completely shot or you are really good at wiring, I'd fix what you have.
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke!" sort of thing going on there!
--------------------

If you are looking at a rewire on an early Jeep...

Last one I did was an early 70's CJ...
The Painful places wanted $300 for harnesses...

We did it for about $30 or $35.
6 hole fuse block, we used big truck breakers instead of fuses so they don't leave us stuck anywhere...
We switched over to a constant rate flasher also. Eliminates problems with thermal flashers in early Jeeps that don't have enough lights to make the correct flash rate, and they work the same with LED lights or not...

Joints are all silver bearing soldered and environment sealed so we don't have this problem again...
Connectors have a good coating of dielectric grease so they won't corrode up again...

Used big truck trailer cable so everything outside the cab to the lights is double or triple insulated.
Nice having 5 to 12 wires (you get to pick) in a heavy duty sheath for added protection!
Can't get that from the 'Painful' guys! All their stuff is under sized and exposed!

Since the head lights have their own breaker, and there are only about 4 or 5 other things that need protection in an early Jeep, it's real easy.
Ignition/accessories, dash lights/tail lights, wipers, horn/relay, brakes/turn signals.

We added a couple of things, like an electric fan and it's wiring, and an electronic ignition while we were there.
Easy to do when you are building the engine harness yourself!

The hard part was turn signals...
The factory turn signals were completely shot, so I got a signal stat and did them from scratch...
That took about 30 minutes and it was the 'Hard' part.

I ripped out front and rear wiring also, that took an extra afternoon...
The head lights didn't have relays, so I added them when we wired so we could run an extra set of 'Off Road' light in the front, and the rear will never have to look for a ground again.
We now have back up lights that are actually a help!
The fuel sender works for the first time in 25 years! And with a proper ground for the first time it's actually accurate!

I think this wiring will last another 50 years or more...

Anyway, if the OP needs a wiring diagram or one of my 'Pictographs', I'd be glad to whip one up for him...
Take some of the 'Mystery' out of the wiring

Last edited by JeepHammer; 08-09-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
earlycj5

Quote:
Anyway, if the OP needs a wiring diagram or one of my 'Pictographs', I'd be glad to whip one up for him...
Take some of the 'Mystery' out of the wiring
Shouldn't I already posted a link to a color wiring diagram.

Like I said, I'm not against building it yourself, but I am against overgeneralizing that a wiring harness isn't worth it. Painless probably isn't, that's why I didn't buy that one.
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

The nicest part of the EZ harness is not in the installation, although it definitely makes it easy, but the payback is in triple when you're troubleshooting on the side of the road in the dark and can just shine a LED keychain light on the whole bundle and easily read off every wire without hunting because they're clearly labeled every 5" or so. DAMHIK.
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I dunno, Was that link to the diagram you posed tailored & customized to the OP's specifications and particular needs?...

As for trouble shooting along side the road...
1. That's what will happen when you use one of the PIA kits, undersized & alloy wires have a tendency to do that.
Leave you stranded trying to find the problem in a harness you don't know...

2. That printing wont be there when you need it...
Has a tendency to go bye-bye when the wire smokes...
Unread 08-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
algmmech
1974 CJ5 

I have nothing against a pre made harness, but I agree with jeep hammer, if you build your own you will know the whole electrical system and repair it quickly. My wiring was so messed up that I just ripped everything out and started from scratch. I made my own schematics as I went, re used all the connectors with new terminals, added a fuse box and relays. There is no question in my mind that if anything electrical goes wrong I'll be able to correct it quickly. I know I didn't spend more than $100 and replaced every switch with toggles.
The main reason to build your own is the satisfaction.

I'm a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals
algmmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
I dunno, Was that link to the diagram you posed tailored & customized to the OP's specifications and particular needs?...
He has a '70 with Dauntless; yes, it was.

Quote:
1. That's what will happen when you use one of the PIA kits, undersized & alloy wires have a tendency to do that.
I didn't say anything about PIA, I said EZ. I can't speak to the quality of the Painless kit as I've never owned one.

Quote:
I've been really happy with my EZ kit. Only problem I've had so far is that my own add-on headlight relay I bought smoke-checked. That wasn't part of the EZ kit, though, so not really their fault. I replaced it with a quality Bosch unit, and all has been right with the world since then. When I priced the kit, I found that the only way I was going to save any significant amount of money was to buy the wire in bulk, i.e. making the whole harness one or two colors. This wasn't an acceptable solution to me. Buying smaller 15ft lengths of wire of many different colors, a fuse block, and a bunch of terminals was, in my case, going to mean saving only a few dollars off the price of the kit. Your results may vary, and your decision to build your own may have made the most sense at the time. To each his own. My kit came with a good quality copper wire of 10ga, 12ga and 14ga, depending on the circuit. These are plenty big enough for the needs of an electrical system such as that found in an early CJ5.

I'm sure you didn't intend for your response to come across this way, but it sounds as if you've got a great deal of emotional investment in your tech answer. We're just all Jeepers trying to help out other Jeepers here.

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 08-10-2007 at 09:56 AM..
jayhawkclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
earlycj5

Quote:

Well I suppose it's impossible to have a wiring diagram for everyone for every modification ever made to a Jeep. If you checked, it's a stock V6 wiring diagram. Unless OP knows exactly what mods have been made to the wiring harness in his Jeep then it's tough to design a diagram just for him.

The writing on the harness wasn't the only benefit to me. I never said that one was better than the other. I just said I was against broad generalizations. I also said I didn't use a Painless kit, twice now.

If I'd wanted to I could've constructed my own wiring harness, but I chose to buy one. That was my decision. I'm not upset with you're choice to build your own harness or trying to point out everything that could possibly be wrong with your harness that you made. I'm just trying to help a guy out when he asked a question. That's the nice thing about forums, several folks have different experiences and they can all be shared. Then the person who asked the question initially can pick and choose what applies to them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.