Is there any difference in quality between YJ and CJ hardtops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is there any difference in quality between YJ and CJ hardtops

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Is there any difference in quality between YJ and CJ hardtops

I've noticed the actual differences in the tops themselves, but is there a difference in the quality between the YJ and CJ hardtops? Are the YJ tops better as far as strength, temp., etc.?

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

What is this "hard top" of which you speak?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If the YJ tops are any better I haven't heard it. The back door is made better it seems to me though.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
What is this "hard top" of which you speak?
I know, a jeep doesn't need a top, but when I had my CJ I drove it year around and had my girls with me so I had to have some protection from winter weather. I found a CJ hardtop for cheap that I couldn't pass up. All of the glass is there and other than being broken, (but repairable), at the "B" pillar, its in really great shape. Today, I picked up a YJ top for free that is missing one side, and the back glass. My plan was to repair and use the CJ top, and make a halftop out of the YJ top like on Jeff Scherbs "Gaucho" project. It would just be a side project for a future Jeep. After getting the YJ top home, I'm now questioning cutting it up since besides missing some glass, its in great shape.
If YJ tops are built better or have better insulation, I'll hold off on the project.

Thanks
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Boover
1985 CJ7 

I haven't noticed much difference between my CJ and my buddies YJ top other than the CJ top being lighter. Which is really nice when you have to pull it off. Remember the rear gate latches differently between YJs and CJs. YJ gates hold the back glass shut.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I may need to ask this on the yj side, but maybe someone knows the answer. I can't tell what the YJ's hardtops are made from. Are they fiberglass or plastic? Its a stock hardtop.
Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.