Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
jeepcj7

Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift?

Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift? How much?

jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
habman

Well that is a tough question that I can answer in only one way.

It depends on what you plan on doing with the CJ. As a rule this best lift height is the smallest lift that allows you to use the Jeep the way you want to.

Extreme lifts can create a number of problems with the front end geometry if not done right. I have a 2 1/2" suspension lift on my "77" CJ-7, along with about 1" of body lift. My 33 X 12.5 fit in with plenty of room, in fact I could easily use 35's

As for who's again it depends on the use.

Hope that helps,

Harry
PURPLE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #0

1977 CJ-7 with all stainless hardware, fittings. hoses and lines.
Glass body in fresh Imron Medium Royal Plum Purple with bright freaking yellow interior.
New Tuffy Stereo Security Console
New BesTop Supertop
Full 8 point cage with frame ties.
33 X 12.50 Yokohama AT + II, I dumped my FRENCH made BFG's
400cid Chevy SB and 350 Turbo trans
All fresh from an off frame resto summer of 02, but is it ever really finished?
habman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
rustyCJ

Re: Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepcj7
Is there a 6 inch lift out there, for a cj 7 1980? What is the best overall lift? How much?
why 6"s of lift? just to fit bigger tires to look good on the street or for actual offroad use? what size tire is your goal?

as far as i know there is no maker of a 6" lift for a CJ. i would assume the reason being it would be too much for a kit, new driveshafts, pinion angle, steering geometry, etc. they could sell a kit but it would be really expensive.
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
mad_scientist

national spring can make you one. It will cost you (probably about $1000 for springs), but it simply one of the best set of springs out there
mad_scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
habman

And that is $1000 just for the springs, you would have to get a few other "custom" parts like new drive shafts, pitman arm...

The total cost would probably be around $3000 if you do all the work yourself.

Like I said earlier, the best lift is the smallest possible for the intended purpose.

HABMAN
PURPLE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #0

1977 CJ-7 with all stainless hardware, fittings. hoses and lines.
Glass body in fresh Imron Medium Royal Plum Purple with bright freaking yellow interior.
New Tuffy Stereo Security Console
New BesTop Supertop
Full 8 point cage with frame ties.
33 X 12.50 Yokohama AT + II, I dumped my FRENCH made BFG's
400cid Chevy SB and 350 Turbo trans
All fresh from an off frame resto summer of 02, but is it ever really finished?
habman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
MR.CJ-7

Could always go 4" lift and spring over. That would get you 6" or more. I wouldn't choose it for my needs, but to each there own. Still a lot of customizing, but it would get you the lift.

I have a 2.5" suspension lift, mild shackle lift and I cleared 33's no prob. I came across TJ flares a few months back, so out came the saw and on went the flares. Now there is ample room for 35's(just waiting on $$$). Some folks may get down on me for the shackle lift, but it fits my needs and the on highway ride isn't too bad. I drive it to work about 3x a week with a 25 mile highway ride each way. BTW TJ flares make CJ's look SO much better!!!

Just my $.02 worth

Happy Jeeping to you!!!
Unread 01-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I think that coil conversion (is it still Black Diamond?) nets about 5" or 6" of lift. Mucho dinero

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
holiday76

Quote:
Originally posted by MR.CJ-7
Could always go 4" lift and spring over. That would get you 6" or more. I wouldn't choose it for my needs, but to each there own. Still a lot of customizing, but it would get you the lift.
Whoa! soa by itself give you about 5-6 inches. with soa and 4 inch springs you're talking 10 inches of lift with enough room to fit 42-44" meats.
Unread 01-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
MR.CJ-7

I guess I got a little carried away huh! LOL!
Unread 01-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #10
jeepcj7

my goal...

my goal is try to fit 36-38 inch tires, but i don't want any tire rub, b/c the riding i do is on extremly ruted out trails, so articulation would be great too. It would defenatly have to have a nice comfortable ride though, because it would most likely be a daily driver. so...what do ya'll suggest? THANX
jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
rustyCJ

Re: my goal...

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepcj7
my goal is try to fit 36-38 inch tires, but i don't want any tire rub, b/c the riding i do is on extremly ruted out trails, so articulation would be great too. It would defenatly have to have a nice comfortable ride though, because it would most likely be a daily driver. so...what do ya'll suggest? THANX
a daily driver with 36s or 38s? not very economical or wise but if you gonna do it a spring over with the wider flat 2.5 lift wrangler springs(you said it needs to flex) and a mild body lift will do the trick.
Unread 01-17-2003, 06:54 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Ditto on rustycj's suggestion on the SOA with 2 1/2" Wrangler springs. I run 1 1/2" Wrangler springs SOA and don't have any problem clearing 35x15 TSL's. If something happens to rub a little.. cut it off

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
MudLover

If you've got the 3 Grand to bust on Black Diamond's coil kit, I'd say go that route. But, if your like most Jeep owners... I dunno. Those are huge tires for an everyday driver that's for sure. Wider springs are def. the way to go for the articulation you want.

Just my thoughts,
Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #14
green eyed son

if you want to run 38s you had better plan on buying more than 6 inches of lift, like a new drivetran, unless you really like boken parts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.