? on th RE 4.5 inch lift, any INPUT? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ? on th RE 4.5 inch lift, any INPUT?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #16
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Good to know. I had pretty much heard all excellent things about that set. Maybe the op got the occasional lemon off the line. Unfortunate, but most anyone who had an issue with install/trail breaks raved how good they were at warranty replacements.

Unread 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Vinny,

I'm curious why you want so much lift?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs View Post
most anyone who had an issue with install/trail breaks raved how good they were at warranty replacements.
From the RE Warranty "Rubicon Express accepts no responsibility for any altered product, improper installation, lack of or improper maintenance or improper use of our products."

I've had friends who where denied warranty replacement based on this clause.

IMHO, BDS has the best warranty on the market... true "No questions asked" replacement. They make an excellent product too. I also prefer to buy from a company that refuses to sell their product through the mega box store/mail house retailer. You can only buy their stuff through an actual off-road shop where you don't deal with catalog jockeys.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Matt

I have to give my 35's some more wiggle room. And I'm Still riding on these 7" b2b shackles that the po put on without shims. Makes for an interesting drive! Speig I also looked at BDS. They are $500 cheaper but don't come with the brake lines, greasable shackles, or detachable sway links. And maybe a minor point but I like the stainless finish on the shocks rather than white. Too picky? Will they put together a kit custom with these options do you know?
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Speig I also looked at BDS. They are $500 cheaper but don't come with the brake lines, greasable shackles, or detachable sway links. And maybe a minor point but I like the stainless finish on the shocks rather than white. Too picky? Will they put together a kit custom with these options do you know?
As I mentioned, they are sold by local shops. It's been my experience that BDS "kits" are put together on site by the retailer so there is a lot of flexibility in your selection. You can buy whatever kind of package you want. I quit buying kits years ago as there was always something I didn't like included (or something missing that I wanted included). In my case, I just got BDS springs and bushings, then picked the other items I wanted "ala carte" (Warrior greaseable shackles, MORE shackle hangers, Crown SS brake lines, Bilstein shocks, RE degree shims, JKS sway bar disconnects, custom driveshaft, etc...).

Also, BDS has partnered with Fox for their high end shocks and they come with a (sexy) stainless finish... but they are pricey.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs
Matt

I have to give my 35's some more wiggle
FYI, most find that in order to run 35's you need 4.5" spring and 1" body lift to keep them from rubbing unless for are cutting the fenders and tub. If you jeep is nothing but street you will be fine without the 1" bl.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
bobert0670
1980 CJ7 

Well so far NOT SO GOOD. I started actually opening each individual box of the kit last night, I opened the front shackle conversion kit, put together one shackle, then went to put the other one together. Ah Ha where are the other 2 side plates? Nowhere to be found .
Email 4Wheelparts.com the people that contacted me after I ordered to tell me it was in fact not in stock, and would be shipped at the end of the month. he tells me I need to call customer service, I call his line, he transfers me to customer service, where I wait on hold for about 15min. Finally get someone on the line and tell them i am missing some parts. She replies are you missing the sway bar end links? No I say, oh that's the only paperwork I see here she replies. So I explain what I am missing she calls RE while I'm on hold, they need the box build date. I give her that then she says they will send them out to me. I asked how long? Well they are in Cali so it will be a while!
Now I realize this is not 4wheel parts fault, but their customer service could use some work. As for RE and 4WP, when this happens parts should be over nighted to the customer in my view. Hope the rest of assembly goes better
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

That sucks Bo. I think this conversation is moving me back towards BDS. I am going to call and see what they price me at for everything I want. MoC I also have a 1" bl that is BDS that I put on in order to get the 35's to squeeze in. I had figured that with a 4-4.5" lift and maybe a 1/2" shackle should give me plenty. I would love to get her on the trails but right now I rub going over some curbs! I think you are right Bo about the overnight shipping. You already paid for it so basically they owe you. Besides, you could fly to California an back in one afternoon. Why does it take a week for them?!
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
capt205
1983 CJ7 

I recently put the RE4.5 kit on my 1983 CJ7. Got the kit from 4WP. Really...I had no issues, all parts were included except 4WP substituted aluminum front shims from ProComp for the steel shims that the kit is supposed to come with. Taking those back tomorrow.

Did not use the included T -case drop kit, went with double carden shafts instead.

I had already put on the Daystar 1" bodylift earlier this year.

It clears the 35" BFG KM2's nicely.

It does ride a little stiff, but is slowly softening up.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
bobert0670
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs
That sucks Bo. I think this conversation is moving me back towards BDS. I am going to call and see what they price me at for everything I want. MoC I also have a 1" bl that is BDS that I put on in order to get the 35's to squeeze in. I had figured that with a 4-4.5" lift and maybe a 1/2" shackle should give me plenty. I would love to get her on the trails but right now I rub going over some curbs! I think you are right Bo about the overnight shipping. You already paid for it so basically they owe you. Besides, you could fly to California an back in one afternoon. Why does it take a week for them?!
Funny thing is I was in Cali earlier in the week! Should have opened it up sooner I guess but had no frame so it sat. Got the frame today and sitting here wishing I had shackles
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Matt

I have to give my 35's some more wiggle room. And I'm Still riding on these 7" b2b shackles that the po put on without shims. Makes for an interesting drive! Speig I also looked at BDS. They are $500 cheaper but don't come with the brake lines, greasable shackles, or detachable sway links. And maybe a minor point but I like the stainless finish on the shocks rather than white. Too picky? Will they put together a kit custom with these options do you know?
Vinny,

Isn't your CJ a complete dog with 35"s and 2:73 gears? I noticed a decline in performance just stepping up to 32"s with my 258 and 2:73 setup. I can't imagine what 35"s would have done.

I dunno, unless you're committed to re-gearing, and all the steering and driveline modifications that are necessary to run 35"s, I'd reconsider.

Personally, I think running 35"s is about the hardest thing you can do to an otherwise stock CJ. The larger tires look cool, but the engine, axles, steering, and driveline are just not designed to run that much rubber.

Just my take,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Vinny

I'm in Tampa if you want to check mine out.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

Also in Tampa. Lemme know if/when you guys get together, I'd like to see them too.

Luis
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #29
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Matt - I already have the 35's on. Had since spring time. Not slamming everyone that I read that gave me a doomsday scenario about adding them, but the real difference I felt was in stability. The jeep sits a little wider with the new wheels and sure a little heavier with the tires. But that sure makes it more stable and controllable on the road. I knew I would have to regear so I look forward to getting back some of the low rpm response. But at road speeds it picks up real nice. Also I plan on the cv shafts too so no surprises.

Capt and Magnum - sounds like a plan. Have to look at the schedule and see. Also, I belong to a club TriCounty Jeepers. We have monthly socials and are family oriented.
Unread 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Vinny

I joined TCJ a couple months ago..met a couple members at a 4WP grand opening event, but the jeep was broke that day. Drove my F350. Haven't made any rides or socials yet.

Woody is a friend of mine, and told me about the club.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.