? on th RE 4.5 inch lift, any INPUT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ? on th RE 4.5 inch lift, any INPUT?

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Big_E
1978 CJ7 

? on th RE 4.5 inch lift, any INPUT?

Im looking at a 4.5 RE lift that comes with everything you need. I heard that it is a good lift. Anyone have it installed on there CJ? Would i need a CV drive shaft? IF so what length would i need? Or was there any problems? This lift would b installed on a 1978 cj7.

Big_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
GPER
1979 CJ7 

mine has been on my 79 about 9 years now, I run the same rear drive shaft and I didn't use the t case drop either. I have the t-150 trany in mine.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Big_E
1978 CJ7 

Thats a 3 spead or 5? no noises or any problem?
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
GPER
1979 CJ7 

It is the three speed with the Dana 20, it drives better now then it did the day I picked it up new at the dealer.
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Big_E
1978 CJ7 

really! so no mods after the 4.5 lift kit. eVERYTHING IN THE KIT WAS ENOUGH? SWEET

Last edited by Big_E; 04-05-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
iownaniroc
1978 CJ7 

Whoa there tiger

I also have a 78 CJ7....and the RE 4.5" lift.

I installed it about 6 months ago. (only been driven on a few times and wheeled once)

Some things to possibly expect:

-Kit was missing greasable zirks, 5 of them to be exact.

-Sent me the instructions for a TJ lift which sent me spinning circles for a good hour and a half trying to find the missing parts and non-existing parts on my Jeep.

-The shocks they recommend for the kit are not the right size. They are extremely limiting. I would tell you the amount of play you need in yours but I do not know where my numbers are. I ended up sending back the shocks that they said go with the kit and getting the right ones.

-The ride is extremely stiff. I did my research before buying it and everyone said it was one of the softest ones you could get with the best flex. (It is possible that mine is not broken in yet though!)

-The steel braided brake lines are great, although possibly a little too short. (no issues yet)

-Some misc. parts just plain do not fit. You can tell that half the stuff is just universal. So a little modification and give and take has to be done.

-Good part, I got 5.25" out of the lift....for now.

-The springs seem really meaty!

-Even after all that, I think it is still worth it. But it was a difficult install with all the problems I ran into. And my dad owns a full blown automotive shop with 6 lifts. So all my tools are snap-on, computers, air tools, etc. It still took us about 6 hours to fully install.

Hope I didn't ruin it for ya. Just letting ya know. You prob. won't have as bad of luck as I did. BUT CHECK THE SHOCKS!!!
iownaniroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
iownaniroc
1978 CJ7 

One more thing!

I had to get a new front drive line!

That was a good thing though, the stock one is weak. I got a 2.5" and it was 210 bucks. Had one of my dads outsource guys build it.
iownaniroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Mine had everything and the sway bar disconnects and the t case lowering kits I didn't use. The gas shocks are stiffer then the oil shocks, but mine rides great.

Years ago I had a friend that switched his lift springs for the REE's also for the ride after riding in mine.
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
bigsnubby
1979 CJ7 

4.5" RE Express Lift

I was told after the fact that RE was bought out by pro-comp but I wouldn't buy this garbage again, It's a premium price for low quality product now
Ive had nothing but trouble since I started trying to install it. The rear springs are way too short even with weight on them they haven't settled in 2 months, The verdicts still out on the front springs has to go to the welding shop before I can even get them on.
bigsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Holy dead thread revival, Batman...!!!
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

So is that true? Did pro comp buy them? That was going to be the next big purchase. But I want to know this first
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Rubicon Express was bought out of bankruptcy a couple years ago by TransAmerican Auto Parts. TransAmerican is the parent company for such companies as 4 Wheel Parts, 4 Wheel Drive Hardware, Pro Comp, G2 Axle & Gear, and Smittybuilt, among others.

Here's a link to a press release announcing the purchase... http://transamericanautoparts.com/company-news/transamerican-auto-parts-purchases-rubicon-express.

"Transamerican is working closely with the Rubicon team to maintain the same manufacturing processes and to protect the integrity and quality of the Rubicon Express brand."
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
bobert0670
1980 CJ7 

This is a bit scary, I just received my 4.5" RE lift for my '79. Its all sitting in my garage waiting for my new frame which should be here this weekend! I will post pics of the install as I am going to loosely put everything together before I epoxy the frame.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
tripster_sta

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert0670 View Post
This is a bit scary, I just received my 4.5" RE lift for my '79. Its all sitting in my garage waiting for my new frame which should be here this weekend! I will post pics of the install as I am going to loosely put everything together before I epoxy the frame.
Will you be starting a new thread? I'm thinking about putting this on my 79 cj5.
tripster_sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

I have the 4.5 RE on my CJ7 and love it. It's stiff, and probably got 5.5 inches but now that I'm use to it it's good to go. I had the local 4 wheel parts install it and they put a custom rear driveshaft on it. I would say that if you don't want any vibration at all (0ver 60mph) you might consider the cv. It's a good lift, top quality as I can see it. Here is the funny part. My Daughter and Wife would not drive my CJ before the lift but now they says it's easier to drive or my "drivable". Of course it could have something to do with the high gears as I have not geared down yet for the 33's.
gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.