TFI Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TFI Upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-18-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
LilRedCJ

TFI Upgrade

Anyone have any feedback on the TFI upgrade?

My 4.2 starts great but idles rough, loses power around 3 to 4k RPMs and the exhaust flat out stinks. Is this kit really worth the money and trouble?

My stock Distributor Cap sits pretty close to the block and oil stick. Is there a space issue?

Also, does the new coil mount where the stock one sits?

Thanks...

Past: '84 Cherokee Chief / '83 CJ 8
LilRedCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Probably one of the best mods I did to my 84 CJ.
Parts are relatively cheap and easy to find at any auto parts store.

The new coil can dangle off of the stock coil clip if you want. Others wire tie it to the battery tray or fabricate a mount on the fender.

Here's my writeup if you're interested.

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/tfi.asp
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
CSP

The symptom of stinky exhaust tells me you have more than ignition problems, so don't expect TFI to solve everything. It will help, but me thinks you need some carburetor work as well.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
lord_byron

Does anyone really run a 4.2 at 4k rpms? I don't even run my 4 cyl TJ like that...
lord_byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I don't always run it past 4K but it is nice to be able to. The TFI is well worth the cost.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.