TF999 ???'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TF999 ???'s

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
143hc
1984 CJ7 

TF999 ???'s

I'm sealing up a leaky tranny. Oil is coming out the shifter seal and I'm wondering how much trouble getting the old seal out is gonna be. Any tips? I'm thinking I might be needing a couple seal picks. What about the throttle sensor rod? It looks like it unbolts/bolts back since the adjustment is further up.
BTW here's some info on tf's
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmis...-tom-hand.html
I learned that since I put on a new carb I need to get my throttle sensor rod adjusted.
Wonder what the shift kits go for...
TIA!!

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Been a while since I messed with one, but I think you may have to drop the pan and valve body in order to replace the seal. Good time to do a shift kit. Trans-Go is generally accepted as the best...should be able to pick up a jobber's kit (no fancy colored box, video tape, or selection of stage at install...you have the buy the stage specific kit) for under $100 easily off Ebay. Also a good time to install a Mopar re-usable pan gasket and a deeper pan. You most definitely need to properly adjust the throttle rod or you'll fry that trans in short order.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
143hc
1984 CJ7 

Thanks John. I just did the pan but did use a Mopar gasket...oh well. I know next to nothing about at's. Does the valve body unbolt easy? I have nightmares about checkballs falling out all over! I read up on adjusting the throttle linkage awhile back, but that might be out of my league. Might be calling the Jeep shop...
crap...
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Who's John? Valve body is held in with a handful of long bolts...all of the checkballs are encased inside it, so they won't fall out...don't have to worry about those unless you do the shift kit yourself. The linkage adjustment is easy...loosen the bolts, take the slack out of the linkage, tighten the bolts, take it for a test drive, tweak as needed.
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

By your signature it looks like you've got a Weber. I have the same setup (Weber 38/TF999) and I used a kickdown cable from Lokar. Works like a champ. Also got rid of the linkages and ran the throttle cable right to the carb.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
143hc
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry jeepskate, thought someone called you John before.
Unread 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
143hc
1984 CJ7 

Ok, got the shaft seal in after it spent a little time in the freezer. I lowered the valve body a little and tapped the old seal up from underneath. I also took the slack out of the linkage. I see where it pushes a plunger in the valve body. Is this the kickdown? There was about a 3/8" gap between the linkage and the plunger so I set it at about 1/8", just guessing. Any suggestions?

TIA
Unread 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Just follow the documented procedure...I know I've seen it on the web several times out of the ATSG book.
Unread 04-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
143hc
1984 CJ7 

I had to pull the valve body after the ball and springs for the shifter detente came out. I got it put back together and can shift thru all the gears with the valve body out but when I bolt it all back up the shifter on the column is one off. It won't go into L1 and the neutral safety switch is in the Reverse position (between the contacts) when the shifter is in Park. I guess I can adjust the linkage but how does stuff like this happen when all that happens is unbolt/ bolt?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.