TF999 ID? Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > TF999 ID? Please Help!

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
tdkask

TF999 ID? Please Help!

This is yet another case where there is too much info on the internet to be able to find a clear answer, so I'm counting on the waelth of info here to save me yet again.

I have a '80 CJ7 with TF 999 and the trans has never been right. It did not run well when I got it, so swapped the carb for a MC2100. At that point, I though the trans was bad, too. Slipped between 2nd and 3rd. So I had it rebuilt by a guy who was supposed to be knowledgeable, but a friend of a friend kind of deal.

NOTE: at this point i had a DIFFERENT trans built and just swapped them.

Still some problems with 2-3 shift. (disengages 2nd and revs, eventually engages 3rd if I let RPMs come down)

I say screw it, compensate with driving habits, and drove it that way about 1.5 years until recently 3rd quit.

By this point I have become more confident and capable, so recently tore it apart myself. The clutches and bands were perfect. I mean, the print was still on friction surfaces from manufacturer. I verified all seals and reassembled. I also installed a Transgo TF-SC shift correction kit, which did a good job of fixing the hard reverse but nothing for the 2-3 shift.

Finally, when the valvebody was apart I noticed some wear in the tracks for valve balls, but nothing too significant.

I know everything is back together as it was, and also it is a whole different transmission than I started with 1.5 years ago, yest some of the problems exist.

So, now to the question(s) - FINALLY -

If I am considering a new valvebody, should a early 80's Jeep TF999 have been a lock-up converter? Can I verify my trans is or isn't meant for lock-up without pulling trans again?

If by chance I have the wrong torque converter (lock up in non-lockup trans, or non-lockup in a lockup trans) will it cause my problem?

Is this possibly just all from wrong/maladjusted linkage in the throttle valve linkage? It was linkage I made, and does have the correct direction of throw, but may not have the correct ratio, and may or may not have the right adjustment. How can I verify? How do I correct?

Thanks. I hope to get this thing a little closer to correct ASAP.

USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
wm69

Tag for responses. Going to dig into a 999 in the near future, and need all the info I can get.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.