Testing a 4.2 258 on Engine Hoist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Testing a 4.2 258 on Engine Hoist

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Testing a 4.2 258 on Engine Hoist

What is the best way to test a 4.2 on any engine hoist? I have one I pulled from CJ7. The previous owner said it ran and drove when he parked it a year or so ago. It was frozen up but after pulling the plugs and putting some WD40 and then oil down the cylinders I moving the crank back and forth i can get it to spin freely. Is seems to turn over smoothly now.

It still has the carb attached. I have the starter too. Can I put the starter on it without the transmission and turn it over? Would a leak down test be better? I just want to sell it and make sure that I am not selling a burnt up engine to someone. The po said the CJ7 had 128,000 miles on it and that is what the odometer had on it. Thanks for all the help!

BigPheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
CrashOdle
Former Lurker

1981 CJ7 

I am in the same boat lol. I would love to know if you pull this off. I've often considered it myself.

Previous Heep: 2001 TJ, 4.0, 4" short arm, mall crawler.
CrashOdle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You can turn it over with the starter on a hoist but you will need the bell housing to hold the starter to the flywheel.

If you take out all the spark plugs it will spin easily and quite fast with little resistance for the starter. A compression check just requires the tester be screwed into the hole. The starter can then be turned with a battery and a set of jump leads for the few revolutions you need to measure each cylinder.

Starting it whilst on the hoist would not be advisable.

If you cannot get a bellhousing you are stuck for using the starter but you COULD (and this is just an idea) put a lever or brace on the crankshaft pulley and try to turn it fast enough to get a reasonable measure of compression on one cylinder. Sounds easier than it might be in practice and I have never seen it attempted but this is basically how cars used to be started.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Plugs out, compression tester inserted and impact gun on the front crank bolt comes to mind.
If the engine was seized, that implies bad things for the condition of the rings. It might make a good core for a rebuild. A compression test tells lots.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
CurtG
1984 CJ7 

Do not attempt to start a engine on a engine hoist....really bad things will happen.

Do what one poster said take plugs out and rotate at the crankshaft pulley. You best bet is take the head off and inspect, your almost there anyway. Suggest you think about a overhaul of the engine and full inspection of components. Any jeep engine that has sat for log periods and is seized in anyway need to be fully inspected.

Think about how much work you will SAVE yourself when you just overhaul it now and put it back in KNOWING its done and reliable going forward.

Lastly the 258 is really cheap to overhaul, you can get a long block done for 1400-1700 bucks. Do it yourself for 800 (machine shop work for block and heads is the only wild card)

Good luck
Curt
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all the advice guys. The engine wouldn't turn over with the plugs out and turning the crankshaft bolt at first. I sprayed some WD40 down the plug holes and then some poured a little 10/30 afterwards. A little wiggling back and forth on the crank bolt and it spins freely now. I guess it was just stuck from sitting outside for a year or so. I do have an impact wrench but am afraid that it could break the bolt off. I guess having someone bring a bellhousing and starter would be the only way to test.

This is just a parts engine I have and don't need it for my CJ. I just want to test it so I can sell it with confidence. I'm only going to ask $200 for it as I don't know the history and have never heard it run. Seems like more than fair price with both manifolds, carb, distributor and fly wheel. What do you guys think?
Unread 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You could do a cylinder leak down test. It will tell you more than a compression check, anyway, and you won't need to fire up the starter.

All you'd need is a compressor, hose, and a cylinder leakage tester.

As for price, I think $200 is more than fair, probably a little cheap. I sold my well-running 258, that was complete from fan to flywheel, for $850.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
You could do a cylinder leak down test. It will tell you more than a compression check, anyway, and you won't need to fire up the starter.

All you'd need is a compressor, hose, and a cylinder leakage tester.

As for price, I think $200 is more than fair, probably a little cheap. I sold my well-running 258, that was complete from fan to flywheel, for $850.

Matt
I do have an air compressor. Can you rent leak down testers at Autozone? That sounds like the thing to do. Any suggestions on a cheap one to purchase? Thanks Matt!
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I got my leakage tester from NAPA, but it was a little pricey.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...LT2_0132282041

I've seen other models as cheap as $46 on Amazon. I had no luck finding a rental.

Matt
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Do you need a separate piece that threads into the spark plug?
Unread 01-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

That will come with the tester.

Matt
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
BigPheJeep
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
That will come with the tester.

Matt
Thanks Matt. I may pick one up if I have another parts motor.

Someone came over last night and picked up the motor I had. He got a great deal and I got some cash and clear garage floor. I may be kicking myself if I need it down the road but I'd rather have an engine I've heard running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.