Test drove the CJ7; a few questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Test drove the CJ7; a few questions...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 10-14-2002, 06:52 AM   #1
IwannaCJ7

Test drove the CJ7; a few questions...

Ok, so I test drove the 78 CJ7...

Here's the lowdown...

It's running 32s, not 33s. Funny, one of the front tires is the new BFG Mud Terrain tread desing, the other three are the old one.

It misses the spare, so I could get a new one and use an old one as a spare.

It has the YJ dash/tub/roll bar.

A few rust spots, very few, otherwise good condition.

The interior is bare bones, no carpeting whatsoever. A radical departure from my 4Runner!

Shifting in and out of 4wd is weird, there's like only ¼ of a inch of travel between 2H and 4H, the hubs are manual of course. What T-case is this?

The engine has no PCV valve, supposedly because it's tuned like a racing engine (confirmed by a buddy of mine who's into muscle cars). Thus, it spits a little oil. I always started in 2nd gear (1st is too low), and managed to burn rubber! Twin tailpipes, BTW...

Shocks are RS5000s all around, including the steering stabilizer, new enough to barely be rusted. The body sits on Energy Suspension urethane bushings.

The front end already has two D-ring (shackles), and it looks like holes are drilled to accomodate a winch on the metal plate that sits in between the frame rails.

Now, the questions...

-The tranny has the reverse where the 5th gear normally is (I grinded it everytime I wanted to shift from 2nd to 3rd!); what tranny is this?

-The front axle, prolly a D30, seems to have some positive camber on one side. Is camber adjustable?

-The truck seems to sit crooked, right rear being lower... can a shop re-arch the leafs to make it sit straight?

-The steering rod is just a little over the right front leaf pack, perhaps only around ½ inch. Is this a cause of worry (contact, etc...) or is it normal?

-I'm not sure it's truly lifted (at least until I add the rear add-a-leaves), because there's clearly some rubbing at the rear, since the Ford 9" is wider than the front axle. Will a body lift help? Can I trim the rear sheetmetal to put TJ-style flares? How much work/money is involved in a spring-over conversion?

-Will this truck articulate decently off-road? It rides stiff, so I'm a little worried about wheel travel.

-I could prolly get it for 2600$US. Is it worth it?

1999 4Runner SR5 V6 5-speed
Lifted, 32s, other goodies

1997 BMW Z3 2.8, intake-exhaust-chip, other goodies too
IwannaCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.