Ten of the dumbest things put on Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ten of the dumbest things put on Jeeps

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Ten of the dumbest things put on Jeeps

http://www.nwjeepn.com/dumbacces.html

diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Kinda lame actually in my opinion.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
1949er
1986 CJ7 

I must have taken off a hundred lbs. of Chrome & Stainless on my 86 and sold it to Pavement Pounders about the only thing left is the Stainless Dash , They were Happy & I was Tickled to shed the Shine
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

Is it just me, or do 9 and 10 sort of contradict each other?
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ranger View Post
Is it just me, or do 9 and 10 sort of contradict each other?
I thought that at first but 10 is for on-road Jeeps that are on trailers. A Jeep with swampers on a trailer is fine.

My Jeep is just on 32s but if I have more than 2 hours to go it is going on the trailer. The truck is safer, quieter, and has AC. The Jeep is not designed for 70 on the highway.

I don't understand snorkels, you really do not want to go that deep. That is wet seats, wet everything, and if the water is moving at all it is going to take you with. It is not a boat. Also, the fan is made for air not water, I can't imagine it appreciates that, the belt must slip.

I would add those stupid looking stinger bumpers. I think they look idiotic and most people will never use them. No one with a nice Jeep is going to use one because if you are really using one you will get scraped up etc.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I thought that at first but 10 is for on-road Jeeps that are on trailers. A Jeep with swampers on a trailer is fine.

My Jeep is just on 32s but if I have more than 2 hours to go it is going on the trailer. The truck is safer, quieter, and has AC. The Jeep is not designed for 70 on the highway.

I don't understand snorkels, you really do not want to go that deep. That is wet seats, wet everything, and if the water is moving at all it is going to take you with. It is not a boat. Also, the fan is made for air not water, I can't imagine it appreciates that, the belt must slip.

I would add those stupid looking stinger bumpers. I think they look idiotic and most people will never use them. No one with a nice Jeep is going to use one because if you are really using one you will get scraped up etc.
Normally if people know their trails have water or frequently run into water, people will have upgrade to Efans and have a switch to turn it off. But with the group referred to in this article...probably not

This article is not that great...I have a good friend who own about 5 jeeps between her and her husband and they are out quite frequently with all of them. They have a trailer for the modded and slightly modded one and what most think are "mall crawlers" they take on the trail and do well. Those ones have "it's a Jeep thing" and "flip me over if you can read this" stickers all over, big wheels and tires, and chrome. The article is aiming at the jeeper wannabe's but kind of misses in the process...
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Personally I try not to judge. If people want a badass looking Zombie Apocolypse jeep with all the fixins....good for them. It is no dumber than people who put boatloads of cash into their 32 Ford Hotrods. It's about the fun the owner has building them and looking at them.

This of course does NOT apply to giant wheels/skinny tires or spinners on a Jeep. That is extremely offensive.

Also, I have done my fair share of metal scraping, pounding, drowning, and crawling and I rock a Jeep Thing sticker. So FU.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
baldfatdad

I must disagree "a bit". If it weren't for the mall crawlers, Jeep would probably be out of business. There are a lot more of then than us. I appreciate those folks because they are also a source of cheap unused, parts when I bust up my stuff. I got a brand new 10k winch (the controller was still in the plastic bag) for $200, because I showed the guy a pic of a 12K with synthetic line. I just wish they knew to wave.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er View Post
I must have taken off a hundred lbs. of Chrome & Stainless on my 86 and sold it to Pavement Pounders about the only thing left is the Stainless Dash , They were Happy & I was Tickled to shed the Shine
Well, my 86 CJ7 Laredo came with the chrome and stainless package and seeing as my wife bought the Jeep back in 98, it has stayed that way. Besides chrome looks great all muddy. Have even had cops at a check stop say nice Jeep when they come up to it, then their jaw drops as they say "You have mud on the Inside of this thing!" As they look at the mud spattered dash. Yup, it gets used.

Have had other Jeeps in the next lane wave as they go by, then when they see the well used warn hs9000i, bent stainless bumper and dinged chrome grill, they float back and say "hey, you actually Use this thing". Good for a laugh.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

What a useless top ten.

For starters, every time I've seen a stock Jeep trailered to a 4-wheeling event, it's always been on a trailer the owner already owned, by a truck with better road manners, comfort, and even fuel economy while towing. (One man with an F-250 claimed he was running 20mpg on the highway, with trailer and Jeep behind him, as opposed to the 17mpg his TJ could accomplish on its own with 4 cylinders and no a/c. I saw no reason not to believe him) Of course, my experience is anecdotal, but it's a consideration to make before declaring it inherently stupid in practice.

Super mud terrain tires are, in general, stupid. But why judge somebody's poor taste in super swampers, when you're riding on secondhand M/Ts, just with more rubber at the same width because you run 15" wheels?

I might not be prone to it myself, but $10 isn't a lot to spend on much of anything, let alone a convenience item to reduce the amount of times you have to dig around a fuse panel with needlenose pliers. Product appears where there is demand, and demand is largely for conveniences.

Those light guards are there to protect the lights from brush and branches snapping against the taillight housings. There are many fake plastic ones, but the metal ones all work for a very specific purpose, and they do it effectively. They're not meant to protect the lights in collisions that exceed the bumpers, they're meant to protect them from damage due to brush.

I don't know about you, but I know a lot of people who do night wheeling and unimproved camping. For those things, a light bar is a great thing to have.

Snorkels are not for water crossing, they're for overland travel across dusty terrain. The snorkel moves the intake up and out of the path of dust kicked up by leading vehicles, allowing the engine air filter to last longer before being clogged with dust and sand. Water crossing should not be attempted if water depth exceeds the diameter of the tires, in most cases. All Jeep vehicles are equipped with factory air intakes that are far above this line.

I actually have nothing to say about the Hi-lift jack mounting. It's a good point. Though, to be fair, there is no good hi-lift mounting point. Anywhere you put it, it's going to be deadly.

I also have nothing to say about low-profile tires, except that I generally disagree with wheels exceeding 19" on pretty much any vehicle.

And what's so bad about stickers? I've been thinking about getting one that says "If I wanted a Hummer, I'd have asked your sister" myself. And frankly, it is a Jeep thing- non-Jeepers don't understand.

Finally, while I don't like chrome at all, why are we up in arms about people's taste in aesthetics? It's not like it hinders its performance in any way.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

I thought a lot of things could be removed from the list. I know I'm younger but I don't think tsls are that bad of a road tire. I wouldn't use bloggers on the road but I'd run tsl radials. Plus I can get them pretty wide. I'll probably get **** for this but I saw a pretty nice cj7 with 22" rims and maybe 40" m/ts. It was a show jeep of course but I liked it. I wouldn't run them on my jeep cause it's not for show but if I had a show jeep I might. I've never been a fan of light bars but they do come in handy sometimes. I also like stingers but I think your jeeps gotta be built up or it looks stupid
image-1923342647.jpg

Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Kinda lame actually in my opinion.
Agreed. It's more like HIS "don't care for" list.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
MrElPoderozo
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
I think your article is dumb and offensive to others. To each s own, you need to learn to mind your own business and stop worrying about what others do to there Jeeps.You sound like a frustrated person who has nothing better to do than seat down and write articles like that, articles that don't make sense. They don't make sense becauuuuuuse!! just cause you don't like it it, does NOT mean is dumb or stupid,THAT IS ONLY YOUR OPINION and I can respect that. What I cant respect is for you to come in this forum and start talking meaningless BS about other people that have done NOTHING to you, in my book that makes you a very ignorant person.
MrElPoderozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

I hav enumber 7 and number 10.

Number 7. Light guards at the rear. They are quite legitimate, I have had many broken taillights in Bali from highway use, not trail use. Motorcyclists texting whilst "riding" are the culprit. All my Jeeps have steel bumpers and light guards, it is so much cheaper than replacing the light units and those scrapes don't show on matt black steel bumpers. I have also used the bumpers in confrontations with military vehicles, TAKE THAT SOLDIER BOY, FEEL THE STEEL!! Never needed the light guards on the trail.

Number 10. Chrome. Heh, 1980 was a good year for chrome!!!

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #15
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

IBTL for "too much butthurt". Ease up guys, and realize that while it is your opinion that the article might be stupid, you have no grounds to tell the other person that their opinion happens to be wrong. The OP posted a link to an article, not stating his bias one way or another. He wasn't the author of the article, so go easy on the dude. We all have our own ideas for what we like, and if somebody chooses to overburden a Jeep with stuff we might regard as pointless or a waste, remember that they are spending money, keeping parts of our economy alive. It isn't a crime to have more dollars than sense.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.