Temperature Sending Unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Temperature Sending Unit

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-26-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
AZ-CJ7

Temperature Sending Unit

I've been having problems with my stock temperature gauge (the one that's built into the speedo) pegging past the H. I really don't believe I have an overheating problem, I just don't believe the gauge. My radiator is new, new thermostat, radiator cap, all new hoses, and no leaks. I can start out fine, after about 5 minutes, its pegged past the H. I come to a stop, then take off, and it sits next to the C for quite awhile. The engine never seems to sputter or act like its running hot. I'm suspecting the temperature sending unit, but I can't find it on this engine (85 6 cylinder). My "How to" manual doesn't show the location on the 6 cylinder, just the 4 and 8. Can someone tell me where its located, and if they think I'm on the right track? At this point, I'm not suspecting the gauge, it doesn't seem to bounce, tapping it makes no difference.

AZ-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
awachwhiteboy
1975 CJ5 

This is just a wild guess on my part mine is right under the thermostat housing, its only a little unit about the size of a cigar and 1 1/2" long on the front of the engine. I could be wrong, it sounds like it probably is the sending unit. Also, make sure your connection/s are clean to give a good signal. Good luck.
Sacramento Jeepers Group #1
awachwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
dana60cj

On my 1975 258 there is a red wire w/wht. tracer that is on the back right corner of the head as you face the Jeep. I believe thats it, because every time I unplug it to do a valve cover gasket, the coolant gauge doesn't register. Hope it helps.
'84 CJ-7, 6" lift, 33" BFG's, I6, .030 Over, Comp Cam, 400cfm Weber, K&N, T-18, 4 Core, Snorkel, D60 Detroit, Custom CV Driveshaft, 1350 U-Joints, D30 True Trac, Alloy shafts, S.R.S. w/ buggy springs, Custom Folding Shackles and Spring Hinges, Custum Tire Rack, Designed On Board Air, Optima's. Sneaky Jeep Owner #3.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
AZ-CJ7

Thanks for the post Dana60CJ, thats it. It's on the Port (left) side of the engine, at the back. I replaced the $5.00 part, went out riding with the AC on for over an hour. It ran even cooler than I suspected it would! I'm pretty sure the test I just gave it proves it, it's currently 106 degrees here in Tucson.
AZ-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.